Organometallic alkane, noble gas and CO2 complexes;Photochemical and electrochemical CO2 reduction; Organometallic reaction mechanisms; Inorganic excited states, electron/energy transfer and supramolecular photochemistry; Organic excited states and reaction mechanisms; IR probes for the elucidation of electron /energy transfer in DNA; Analytical Chemistry and instrument development.
Some Recent Publications
1. "Application of Transient Infrared and Near Infrared Spectroscopy to Transition Metal Complex Excited States and Intermediates", J. M. Butler, M. W. George, J. R. Schoonover, D. M. Dattelbaum and T. J. Meyer, Coord. Chem. Rev. 2007, 251, 492-514.
2. "Studying Highly Reactive Organometallic Complexes with Infrared Spectroscopy: Matrix Isolation, Liquefied Noble Gases, Supercritical Fluds and Time-resolved IR Spectroscopy", P. Portius and M. W. George, Comprehensive Organometallic Chemistry III (Ed R. H. Crabtree and D. M. P. Mingos), Elsevier: Oxford 2007 pp. 263-278.
3. "Monitoring the Direct and Indirect Damage of DNA and Polynucleotides by Using Time-resolved Infrared Spectroscopy", M. K. Kuimova; A. J. Cowan; P. Matousek; A. W. Parker; X. Z. Sun; M. Towrie; M. W. George, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., 2006, 103, 2150-2153.
4. "Characterization of an Organometallic Xenon Complex using NMR and IR Spectroscopy", G. E. Ball; T. A. Darwish; S. Geftakis; M. W. George; D. J. Lawes; P. Portius; J. P. Rourke, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., 2005, 102, 1853-1858.
5. "Monitoring the Effect of Ultrafast Deactivation of the Electronic Excited States of DNA Bases and Polynucleotides Following 267 nm Laser Excitation Using Picosecond Time-resolved Infrared Spectroscopy", M. K. Kuimova; J. Dyer; M. W. George; D. C. Grills; J. M. Kelly; P. Matousek; A. W. Parker; X. X. Sun; M.Towrie; A. M. Whelan, Chem. Commun. 2005, 1182-1184.
6. "Quantitative Analysis of the Formation and Diffusion of A(1)-Adenosine Receptor-antagonist Complexes in Single Living Cells", S. J. Briddon; R. J. Middleton; Y. Cordeaux; Flavin, F. M.; J. A. Weinstein; M. W. George; B. Kellam; S. J. Hill, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 2004, 101, 4673-4678.
7. "Unraveling the photochemistry of Fe(CO)5 in solution: Observation of Fe(CO)3 and the conversion between Triplet Fe(CO)4 and Singlet Fe(CO)4(solvent)", P. Portius; J. Yang; X. Z. Sun; D. C. Grills; P. Matousek; A. W. Parker; M. Towrie; M. W. George, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2004, 126, 10713-10720.
8. "Using Picosecond and Nanosecond Time-resolved Infrared Spectroscopy for the Investigation of Excited States and Reaction Intermediates of Inorganic Systems", M. K. Kuimova; W. Z. Alsindi; J. Dyer; D. C. Grills; O. S. Jina; P. Matousek; A. W. Parker, P. Portius; X. Z. Sun; M. Towrie; C. Wilson; J. Yang; M. W. George, Dalton Trans., 2003, 3996-4006.
9. "Development of a Broadband Picosecond Infrared Spectrometer and its Incorporation into an Existing Ultrafast Time-resolved Resonance Raman, UV/visible, and Fluorescence Spectroscopic Apparatus", M. Towrie; D. C. Grills; J. Dyer; J. A. Weinstein; P. Matousek; R. Barton; P. D. Bailey; N. Subramaniam; W. M. Kwok; C. S. Ma; D. Phillips; A. W. Parker; M. W. George, App. Spectr., 2003, 57, 367-380.
10. "Probing the Reactivity of Photoinitiators for Free Radical Polymerization: Time-resolved Infrared Spectroscopic Study of Benzoyl Radicals", C. S. Colley; D. C. Grills; N. A. Besley; S. Jockusch; P. Matousek; A. W. Parker; M. Towrie; N. J. Turro; P. M. W. Gill; M. W. George, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2002, 124, 14952-14958.