Heriot Watt Brewing School 1994-1997
Bass Brewers (now Molson Coors) Graduate Scheme
Team Leader in Brewing, Kegging and Smallpack across 3 different breweries 1997 - 2000
Product Development Brewer Bass Brewers 2000 - 2003
Worshipful Company of Brewers Travel Scholar - Bitburger Germany 2003
International Product Development Brewer - Russia / Europe 2004 - 2005
Group Production Standards Brewer 2005 - 2009
Head of Product and Process Development 2009 - 2012
Process Development Lead (Europe) 2012 - 2017
Assistant Professor (Brewing) University of Nottingham 2017 -
Top 5 Skill Areas
1. Brewing Best Practice: Lead technical auditor for Molson Coors UK. Lead problem solver / trouble shooter for Europe. Responsibility for quality improvement across multiple sites and large network of contract operations.
2. Capacity / Cost Saving: Responsibility for supply chain cost reduction. Leader of numbers multi million pound cost reduction projects in areas such as raw materials, capacity generation, energy, and co products.
3. Cross Flow Filtration: Leader of ICBS Global Cross Flow group. Leader of Molson Coors group to assess X Flow technology leading to major investment in Burton Brewery.
4. Co Product Valorisation: Global lead to maximise value from co product streams and minimise spent on waste. Investigation of numerous step change technologies.
5. Craft / Micro brewing: Co Owner of a 5 barrel microbrewery. Experience of the highs and lows of small scale brewing.
X Flow Filtration: Investigating the key drivers of filterability. Identification of the most important particles and macromolecules involved in blocking beer X flow systems.
Previous Research Areas include : Beer Freshness (comparison of pasteurised Vs Non pasteurised beers), Novel oxygen measurement systems, yeast viability improvements through the use of Magnesium addition, novel cleaning of mash filters using enzymes & numerous projects on Co product valorisation.
Beer Carbon Footprint Reduction: Formation of a global group to define best practice and drive improvement on brewing Carbon Footprint.