The University of Nottingham is a centre of excellence for brewing technologies and research, based within the Division of Food Sciences. Our scientists work with the brewing industry to meet the challenges of the 21st century; researching novel process developments targeted towards increased sustainability, efficient resource usage and minimising waste or effluents. The approach is truly multi-disciplinary, providing new solutions by bringing together expertise in crop science, malting, brewing, engineering, novel materials and environmental science.
- 10 hL pilot scale brewery
- Micromalting facilities
- 35 L Briggs brewhouse for experimental wort production.
- 9 x 10 L fermentation vessels (state of the art research tools; computer controlled with online monitoring of fermentation parameters).
- Extensive brewing research laboratories and analytical facilities
- Outstanding flavour research laboratories and sensory science centre with specialist ‘beer panel’.
- University farm, extensive glasshouse and growth room facilities in Plant & Crop Sciences
- State of the art genomic and proteomic facilities
Research Team Members
View Brewing Science Research themes