During the recruitment process, employers will be assessing your understanding of their business, it is important that you do the appropriate research.
Recruiters will be looking for candidates who have commercial awareness, that is an understanding of their company - its products or services, customer base and an awareness of business trends in the sector.
Four graduate recruiters talk about commercial awareness and how they assess it during the selection process.
What you need to know
- What are the company's key products and services?
- What is their mission statement and values?
- Where are they based? Do they operate in other countries?
- Who are their customers?
- Who are their competitors and how do they compare?
- How are they performing financially?
- What are their strengths and weaknesses?
- Have they been in the news recently? If so, why?
- What are the trends and developments in their sector?
- How are they responding to developments?
Sources of company and sector information
Glassdoor is a great resource to use when researching employers and jobs in your area. The active community of reviewers provides their opinion of:
- interviews and questions
Visit the Glassdoor website