IT and telecommunications are used in all industries, therefore a wide range of career options are available.
Typical graduate roles include software engineer, systems analyst, technical support, network engineer, technical sales, project manager, web developer and software tester, among others.
Your next steps
If you have questions about your plans, talk to a member of our team.
Advice from three graduate recruiters
We talked to three graduate recruiters from IBM UK, ATOS UK and BSkyB about the skills and experience they look for when recruiting students and graduates and the issues affecting the sector.
Experience and skills employers look for
Sector 'hot' topics
Careers in wearable technology
Hear some great insights from Alex Bowker, Head of Developer Relations at Samsung, and find out more about a career in wearable technology.
Selected websites covering all IT career options
- The Chartered Institute for IT (BCS) - industry news and careers information
- CareerPlayer - watch several videos on graduate careers in the IT industry featuring professionals working in the sector. The videos cover an overview of the IT industry and various roles within the sector as well as a video that focuses on women in technology - also see Women in Technology below.
- CERN - offers 4 - 12 month placements for computing students
- Creative Skillset - section on careers in games including job roles, ways into the industry and a trainee finder scheme to match candidates with companies
- Cyber Security Challenge UK - has information on careers in cyber security plus competitions
- Deanslist - a job portal for computer science and IT students and graduates
- e-skills UK - the sector skills council for IT and telecommunications; information about careers and the industry
- Games Industry International - interviews with top employers, as well as latest news and job vacancies
- Games developer vacancy sources (Prospects) - information about getting into the area and sources of vacancies
- The Guardian IT Supplement - articles, industry news and job vacancies
- Inside Careers - career information and the latest graduate vacancies in IT. They also produce Information Technology which you can download from their website
- The Institution of Analysts and Programmers (IAP) - information about careers in IT, typical jobs and training
- Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP) - opportunities exist within KTP, a three way partnership between a graduate, university and a company. The graduate is employed to manage a project with dedicated support from the University
- National STEM Centre careers resources - careers resources database, information on professional development, and region-specific information
- Prospects - for a professional insight into the careers in this industry
- Scientists for Global Responsibility - includes an ethical employers contact last
- Student Times - useful industry guide and careers information
- TARGETjobs - graduate career information and vacancies. They also produce the IT & Technology guide which you can download
- The Year in Industry Scheme - offers placements to IT students
- UK Parliament - offers sandwich student placements in The Department of Information Services
- Women in Tech – career advice, case studies, jobs and employers hiring women in technology
- Women In Technology - job board promoting female employment within the IT and technology industries. It advertises graduate training schemes, jobs and internships. See also CareerPlayer entry and link to video
In this sector it is often the case that specialist recruitment agencies and websites handle vacancies for employers and you may have to use them to identify relevant opportunities. We have found the following websites to be useful:
You can search for other agencies operating in this field by using Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC) website.