Careers and Employability Service
Services for current students

Political and social research

There are a number of different roles within this sector, including working at a think tank, being a politician's assistant and undertaking social research.

Click on each career below for links to publications and websites that provide further information on each career area.

Your next steps

If you have questions about your plans, talk to a member of our team.


Government research officers


Public affairs - think tanks and lobbying firms


Trade Union research officers


Work experience and job vacancies

  • Visit the websites of think tanks to identify work experience or internship opportunities, for example, DEMOS, a think tank on democracy. Also, use the links under the heading Think tanks and lobbying firms above
  • Civil Service - for work experience opportunities visit their website which has a section for undergraduates
  • Electus Start - a recruitment agency for public affairs, PR and communications
  • The European Parliament - traineeships to provide vocational training and to learn more about the European Union 
  • House of Commons - offers year-long placements, including in the Department of Chamber and Committee Services
  • LGJobs - the UK official website for local government job vacancies
  • Parliamentors – get mentored by an MP if you see yourself working in politics after graduation 
  • UK Parliament - advertises job vacancies 
  • W4MP - covers everything you need to know about working for an MP including information on internships  

Careers and Employability Service

The University of Nottingham
Portland Building, Level D
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 3680
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 3679