Welcome to the Centre for Advanced Studies
The Centre for Advanced Studies was established in January 2010 to provide a centre of international excellence in the Arts and Social Sciences.
The key ambitions for CAS are to:
- enhance the research culture within the Faculties of Arts and Social Sciences
- provide leadership on key challenges and strategic themes
- promote interdisciplinarity and serve as a bridge between researchers inside and outside the Faculties
- drive forward the internationalisation of the research environment (including collaborations with overseas campuses)
- aid the adoption of research-led knowledge transfer and widen the potential impact of research
- enable post-graduates and early career researchers to engage in the Faculties’ research culture
To this end, CAS champions key research clusters and partnerships within its annual programme of activities to help build research capacity, and supports emerging research areas at Nottingham (link to current themes here).
CAS offers a number of funding opportunities to support the growth of new research activities and can also offer the services of its established Research and Business Development staff and Funding Office to help the development of research projects.
These web pages offer an introduction to CAS and our research development and support services. If you do not find the information you are looking for please email our administrator Allison Pearson or call her on 0115 95 14838.
Summer 2016: this site is currently being redesigned, please check back for updated information.
- Highfield House, University Park
- For all arts students: get a taste of what you can do alongside your studies to increase your job prospects. The festival includes volunteer and paid opportunities currently available on campus.
- Back to the Past: Is Growth Reverting to Pre-Industrial Levels?
See all events
- We are now looking for participants for our third workshop on Climate Ethics and Climate Economics: Fat Tails - Imposing and Redistributing Risks.
- Gaby Neher discusses the Armada painting of Queen Elizabeth I in The Conversation.
- Funded by the ESRC and the Centre for the Study of Social and Global Justice, this one-day workshop will take place at The University of Nottingham on 1 July 2016.
See all news