Welcome to the Centre for Advanced Studies
The Centre for Advanced Studies was established in January 2010 to provide a centre of international excellence in the Arts and Social Sciences.
The key ambitions for CAS are to:
- enhance the research culture within the Faculties of Arts and Social Sciences
- provide leadership on key challenges and strategic themes
- promote interdisciplinarity and serve as a bridge between researchers inside and outside the Faculties
- drive forward the internationalisation of the research environment (including collaborations with overseas campuses)
- aid the adoption of research-led knowledge transfer and widen the potential impact of research
- enable post-graduates and early career researchers to engage in the Faculties’ research culture
To this end, CAS champions key research clusters and partnerships within its annual programme of activities to help build research capacity, and supports emerging research areas at Nottingham (link to current themes here).
CAS offers a number of funding opportunities to support the growth of new research activities and can also offer the services of its established Research and Business Development staff and Funding Office to help the development of research projects.
These web pages offer an introduction to CAS and our research development and support services. If you do not find the information you are looking for please email our administrator Allison Pearson or call her on 0115 95 14838.
Summer 2016: this site is currently being redesigned, please check back for updated information.
- Keighton Auditorium
- John McDonnell MP will give the 10th Annual Lecture of the Centre for the Study of Social and Global Justice on 'Towards a New Economics' on 26 January.
- A39. Sir Clive Granger Building
- A unified approach to estimating demand and welfare (A39, SCGB)
See all events
- Professor Kevin Bales from the School of Politics and International Relations has been appointed a Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George (CMG) in the Queen's New Year Honours.
- The CSVA receives funding to support a British Museum Vikings exhibition coming to Nottingham in November.
See all news