Presessional Academic Study Skills for Students with Unconditional Offers (PASS)
Presessional Academic Study Skills (PASS) is a 4-week course designed for students with unconditional offers for either a postgraduate or undergraduate degree at the University of Nottingham (including study abroad students and Erasmus/Socrates students).
The PASS course allows you to use your existing English language skills to prepare for the demands and requirements of study at a British university, and to become an active member of the University of Nottingham's academic community before starting your degree.
What you will learn
Over the course of the four weeks, you will:
- develop and improve the key academic skills necessary to allow you to succeed in your studies at the University of Nottingham
- become familiar with the expectations of UK academic study
- prepare for the kinds of tasks you will need to perform on your degree course
- work collaboratively with other international students from different backgrounds and a variety of countries
- develop your confidence and improve your ability to express your ideas clearly and appropriately in English
What you will do
As a student on the PASS course, you will participate in a series of activities:
- Write a collaborative research project relating to your academic discipline
- Read a variety of academic texts and journal articles
- Actively use the University of Nottingham's facilities for study and research
- Attend lectures and take notes
- Participate in seminars and give oral presentations
- Learn to work effectively in groups
- Study independently
- Have weekly one-to-one sessions with a personal tutor
...and other authentic academic tasks. View a sample timetable to get a better idea of the content of the course.
How you will be assessed
There is no formal assessment, but your tutors will give you feedback on your written research project and oral presentation and comment on your participation and progress.
At the end of the 4-week PASS course you will move on to your undergraduate/postgraduate studies at the University of Nottingham.