The University Counselling Service (UCS) offers a limited number of unpaid training placements each academic year, running from September to June. These give those who take part the chance to work with an established team using a range of theoretical orientations, to be supported to benefit from the experience, and provides a good opportunity to accumulate counselling hours in a professional setting.
Due to potential conflicts of interest and boundary issues, we are not able to take students or staff members of The University of Nottingham.
What we are offering:
- Each placement is for one day per week, during University term time only.
- The trainee will be expected to offer short-term work to students
- Supervision offered on a weekly basis from the service within the core theoretical orientation of the trainee.
- The opportunity to participate in any in-house training events organised during the academic year
What we are looking for:
- have completed at least two years of professional training (not including introductory courses)
The training must be at the level of the minimum BACP requirement for membership and progression on to BACP individual accreditation i.e. a minimum of a 1 year full-time or minimum of 2 years part-time course that has a supervised placement of a minimum of 100 hours as an integral part of the course.
- be prepared to engage in short-term work
- have prior counselling experience in a professional setting
- have experience of working with people who have a range of emotional difficulties
- work within the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) or the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) ethical framework, and with particular reference to confidentiality and boundaries
- have a particular interest in counselling in a Higher Education settingThe individual must have studied at degree level, either as part of the course or as previous degree, owing to the nature of the HE context and presenting issues.
- be able to organise effectively and fulfil the administrative requirements of the service
- have the ability and willingness to work within a team.
How to apply: Complete the application form.
Closing date: Friday 16 June 2017
Interview date: Wednesday 19 July 2017
In the first instance, you will be offered a nine month, term only placement with us after an interview process. Continuation beyond that point is subject to review.
All applicants who are successful at interview will be required to be eligible to work in the UK and to obtain a clear Disclosure and Barring check.