Why do students plagiarise?
The JISC advisory service (Plagiarism Detection and Prevention 2001) has provided a list of possible reasons why students plagiarise, which is summarised below). The list does not distinguish between plagiarism from external sources (like journals and the web) and peer-plagiarism (or collusion with other students).
- Bad time management skills
- Unable to cope with the work load
- "The tutor doesn't care, why should I?"
- External pressure to succeed
- Lack of understanding
- "I can't do this!"
- "I want to see if I can get away with it"
- "I don't need to learn this, I only need to pass it"
- "But you said work together!"
- "But that would insult the experts in the field"