The redevelopment work on the Portland Building remains underway, with a number of new facilities and services being introduced.
Back in March we shared plans with you for the redevelopment of the Portland Building. Those of you who have already returned to campus will have noticed that work is well underway and a number of projects have been completed. Here’s what’s new:
- Portland Coffee Co – A new café has opened on B Floor. This is at the end of the corridor on your left as you enter the building from the steps at the front.
- Blackwell’s bookshop – Blackwell’s has relocated to B Floor – again, on your left as you enter the front of the building.
Please note that the area opposite Blackwell’s on B Floor is still under construction. Once finished, this is where you’ll be able to find Jobzone, Portland Clothing Co and Heads Up. A map of the area can be found below.
The Welcome Zone is also still under construction. This is the area that Blackwell’s formerly occupied – just to the left of the rear entrance beneath the big screen. Work on the Welcome Zone is expected to be completed soon.
The landscaping at the back of Portland Building is also due to be completed this semester. We’re introducing a number of new features:
• terraced garden with a cascade water feature, linking the rear entrance of Portland to Cut-Through Lane and the bus stops
• a large pool with fountains linked to the cascade
• a large canopy by the bus stops, which will have dividing screens and a power supply so that we can create closed spaces for events
• improved landscaping, including trees, paths, cycle racks and connections with other routes
For more information on changes around campus, visit the Estates developments webpage.
Posted on Tuesday 26th September 2017