Ordinance XIV: Election of Members of Senate
- The electoral roll of members of staff eligible to nominate, to vote for and to be elected members of Senate under Ordinance XIII 1.11 shall consist of all permanent Professors of the University.
- The electoral roll of members of staff eligible to nominate, to vote for and to be elected members of Senate under Ordinance XIII 1.12 shall contain the names of all Readers, Associate Professors, Lecturers and researchers appointed by the University to permanent posts within the Research and Teaching job family at level four to level six. Each member of staff on the electoral roll shall be assigned to one Faculty and to one Faculty only.
- The electoral rolls required by paragraphs 1 and 2 of this Ordinance shall be produced by the Human Resources Department for use by the Registrar, and shall be conclusive evidence that any person whose name appears therein at the time of claiming to vote or of being elected is entitled to vote or be elected as the case may be, and that any person whose name does not appear therein is not so entitled.
- The appointment of the President of the Students' Union and seven student members of Senate under Ordinance XIII 1.13 shall be held in the manner determined by the Students' Union, provided that no person may be appointed, or continue in membership less s/he is a student of the University.
- Candidates in Ordinance XIII 1.11 and 1.12 shall be accepted upon the nomination of not less than two electors. The Registrar shall act as returning Officer.
- The persons elected under Ordinance XIII 1.11 and 1.12 shall hold office for four years from the first meeting of Senate immediately following their election, and shall be eligible for one period of re-election. Casual vacancies shall be filled at the next following annual election.
- The persons elected under Ordinance XIII 1.13, shall hold office for one year from the first day of August immediately following their appointment. Vacancies occurring during the year shall not be filled until the next following annual election.
(amendment approved July 2017)
Return to Ordinances list