Section 6 - The Council
- The Council shall consist of a maximum of twenty-five members, including up to fourteen External Members and up to eleven Internal Members, ensuring always that External Members are in the majority.
- The Council shall elect a Chair and Vice-Chair of the Council who shall be External Members.
- The Members of the Council shall be as follows:
3.1 External Members
3.1.1 The Officers of the Council
3.1.2 Up to ten members appointed by the Council who shall be neither Staff nor Students, but at least two of whom shall be alumni of the University, and considered by the Council to be otherwise independent and impartial.
3.2 Internal Members
3.2.1 The President and Vice-Chancellor
3.2.2 Up to three Pro-Vice-Chancellors or other senior members of Staff appointed by virtue of their office, as prescribed by Ordinance.
3.2.3 Up to five members of Staff, who shall be appointed in accordance with the Ordinances.
3.2.4 Two Student representatives as prescribed in the Ordinances.
- Members of the Council referred to at 3.1.1, 3.2.1 and 3.2.2 shall hold office while they occupy the positions named respectively.
- Members of the Council referred to at 3.1.2 and 3.2.3 shall hold office for four years or for such shorter periods as the appointing bodies may determine.
- Members of the Council referred to at 3.2.4 shall hold office for the University year for which they were appointed provided they remain Students.
- All casual vacancies shall be filled by the body which appointed the representative whose place has become vacant, provided that any person appointed to fill a casual vacancy shall be appointed only for the remainder of the period for which the person whose place has become vacant was appointed.
- All retiring members shall be eligible for re-appointment save that the membership of members referred to in 3.1.1, 3.1.2, 3.2.1 and 3.2.2 shall cease upon the expiry of their holding office. Members referred to in 3.1.2 and 3.2.3 shall not serve for more than two consecutive four-year periods without a gap of at least one year following the cessation of the second consecutive period of office unless the Council shall determine otherwise by a vote of at least two-thirds of the members present. Where members referred to in 3.1.2 are elected as a Chair or Vice-Chair or other office holder of the Council their previous service shall be disregarded for the purpose of calculating their period of office.
- The quorum for the Council shall be one-third rounded up to the next whole number of the total actual membership of the Council, with External Members always being in the majority.
New version of Statutes approved by the Privy Council - 21 July 2010
amendments approved by Council, July 2017 (pending Privy Council approval)