Space Management Committee
Space Management Committee (SMC) is an executive group which allocates funding for the continuous improvement of the University estate and its asset infrastructure. It operates within a framework provided by Space Strategy Board (SSB) and receives and evaluates project proposals with minimum value of £20,000 and an upper threshold of £250,000.
SMC meets four times a year.
Terms of Reference
- To oversee space rationalisation, both proactively and reactively, and within a budget authorised by University Executive Board (UEB), in order to optimise the use of University space and obtain value for money from enhancement, where appropriate, in financial partnership with internal and external funding sources.
- To authorise the allocation of space in University owned and leased premises on the UK campuses and to ensure that members are briefed about space allocation on international campuses.
- To review, monitor and provide feedback on space utilisation, including Centrally Timetabled Teaching Space, for effective space management.
- To provide a framework to solicit and evaluate submissions for financial contributions to space/premises projects and provide clear, transparent and robust procedures for the allocation, expenditure and monitoring of SMC funds.
- To approve expenditure of allocated funds not exceeding £250,000 per project and with a minimum threshold of £20,000 and where appropriate in line with Strategy 2020 and SSB directives. All contributions to projects are agreed by a majority of SMC members and recorded in SMC meeting minutes and on the SMC budget sheets.
- In line with guidance from SSB to ensure that all SMC-funded schemes in excess of £100,000 are subject to post-occupancy evaluations. SMC reserves the right to undertake post-occupancy evaluations on any scheme to which it has contributed.
- To ensure that the allocation of funding is transparent, consistent, fair and free from bias.
- To support the strategic direction, principles and priorities set by SSB.
- To provide an annual report to SSB and UEB.
- To receive advance notice from Faculties, Schools, Departments and Professional Services (sponsored by a Faculty Pro-Vice-Chancellor or Director of Service) regarding their aspiration for future space allocation to be delivered as a single project or a phased programme within the funding remit of the Committee and to engage in discussions with the Sponsor on these matters.
- To provide, maintain and enhance a pool of centrally managed AV and PC equipment.
- To ensure that the structure, workings, decisions and results of the SMC are transparent and widely disseminated in a way that is accessible to all university staff.
Chair (appointed by SSB): Professor Michele Clarke - School of Geography (2020)
Estate Office Director (Sustainability): Mr Andy Nolan (2019)
Estate Office Space Resource Manager: Mr Adrian Mawdsley (2019)
Director of Financial Management: Ms Sally Blackamore (2019)
* Five members of staff (drawn from across the UK campuses):
Professor Malcolm Cobb - School of Veterinary Medicine and Science (2020)
Dr Derek Chambers - School of Health Sciences (2020)
Professor Terry Moore - Faculty of Engineering (2018)
Professor Lynda Pratt - School of English (2018)
Mrs Jane Watson - Social Sciences (2018)
Two representatives from Professional Services:
Mrs Clare Gough (2018), Mrs Caroline Gregory (2019)
Representative of Research Board: Ms Alison Clarke (2019)
Representative of Timetabling: Mrs Stephanie Glen (2020)
Secretary: Ms Nikola Halse (2020)
* Appointments are initially for three years with the option to continue for a further three years by agreement.
(..) identifies end of term.
Return to Committees list
(updated October 2017)