U21 Joint PhD
This joint PhD programme, launched by the Universitas 21 network in May 2009, enables doctoral students to embark on joint degrees which will considerably enhance their research and employment opportunities on an international scale.
This new U21 initiative will allow research students to embark on joint PhD programmes at leading universities across the globe.
A Memorandum of Understanding agreed by 14 of the network’s universities in May 2009, provides a framework for creating tailor-made programmes of study, taking individual research needs into account and enabling students to live and work in two different countries. A copy of the Memorandum of Understanding is available to download in pdf format.
The institutions involved in the Joint PhD programme
- Australia: University of Melbourne; University of New South Wales; University of Queensland
- Canada: University of British Columbia; McGill University
- Hong Kong: University of Hong Kong
- India: University of Delhi
- Ireland: University College Dublin
- New Zealand: University of Auckland
- South Korea: Korea University
- Sweden: Lund University
- United Kingdom: University of Birmingham; University of Edinburgh; University of Glasgow; University of Nottingham
Guidelines on the operation of this scheme for supervisors at the University of Nottingham and for students interested in undertaking a PhD through this route at the University of Nottingham are available to download:
Guidelines from U21 for students and supervisors (Word 1.72MB)
Funding for this scheme may be available through academic schools, and students should contact the relevant school for further information.
Students interested in self-funding their studies on this scheme should contact the school in which they wish to undertake their PhD.
Universitas 21 is an international network of research-led universities. It aims to promote and achieve collaboration, co-operation and work of a comprehensive nature, drawing on a strong bond of collegiality found between similarly-minded universities all of whom occupy a highly regarded status in their respective global regions and among the global league tables.
U21 Member List
- Fudan University
- Korea University
- Lund University
- McGill University
- National University of Singapore
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Tecnológico de Monterrey
- The Ohio State University
- University College Dublin
- University of Amsterdam
- University of Auckland
- University of Birmingham
- University of British Columbia
- University of Connecticut
- University of Delhi
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Glasgow
- University of Hong Kong
- University of Johannesburg
- University of Maryland
- University of Melbourne
- University of New South Wales
- University of Nottingham
- University of Queensland