Taiwan Studies Programme
The Taiwan Studies Programme (TSP), housed within the Institute of Asia and Pacific Studies at the University of Nottingham is dedicated to developing wider and sustained scholarly interest in the study, research and teaching of the politics, culture, society, external relations and economy of Taiwan.
As a 'miracle economy' and 'Third Wave' democracy, Taiwan is a fascinating case for many areas of academic investigation.
In addition to its complex history, disputed status and vibrant democratic system, Taiwan is a key component of the geopolitical landscape of East Asia and the Asia-Pacific.
Developing and disseminating knowledge about Taiwan is thus an important endeavour, one that the TSP is committed to advancing through supporting academic research and engaging with academia, policy makers and the wider community. It will shortly be launching its own social media platform, offering insightful commentaries on current affairs by TSP researchers as well as other leading international scholars in the field.
Another important role of the TSP is to develop academic exchanges with Taiwanese colleagues and to facilitate members' participation in conferences and collaborative academic activities in Taiwan.
To attain these objectives the TSP implements a complementary programme of research and teaching on Taiwan, including financial support for doctoral students, an annual international conference and regular high profile public lectures.
- 22 November 2017 (12:00-14:00)
- B7 Hemsley, Universiity Park
- A lunchtime seminar by Dr Ann Heylen, National Taiwan Normal University (NTNU) as part of the Taiwan Studies Programme Seminar Series.
- 23 November 2017 (16:00-17:30)
- B46 Trent Building, University Park
- Dr Rachel Leow, University of Cambridge will present a joint IAPS/COTCA seminar
- 07 December 2017 (16:00-17:30)
- B7 Hemsley, University Park
- Ethan Mark presents a joint IAPS/COTCA seminar on Japan's WWII Occupation of Java as Transnational History.
See all events and listen to podcasts of our previous events