EU KETs - supported INNovative INDUSTRY for HIGH GROWTH and SUSTAINABLE GLOBALIZATION
The European industry is facing the major challenge of responding to the needs created by the profound society changes of the past decades. Simultaneously it must increase its global competiveness while creating more sustainability, wealth and jobs in Europe. Whilst the European excellence in fundamental research is widely acknowledged, the clear mechanisms for transfer of knowledge into innovative, high value industrial products are yet to be clearly understood and identified.
Manufacturing plays a critical role in the value chain addressing societal needs and grand challenges. Specifically, high manufacturing is significantly impacted by the successful integration of Key Enabling Technologies (KETs) in this value chain.
KETs are considered as: Essential to achieve globally competitive and sustainable EU manufacturing industry, providers of an important social return on investments by significantly impacting manufacturing by boosting job creation.
They are strategic in the generation of high value chains of classic or new industrial sectors in Europe (from materials, equipment and devices, to products and services).
The approach will include a comprehensive study of KETs across relevant industrial sectors with the objective to formulate guidelines and recommendations for effective, cross-sectorial KETs integration strategies, and for accelerated industrial innovation in addressing key societal goals and economic and social challenges.
The EU Knights project aims to enable strategic integration of key enabling technologies, by promoting best practices, highlighting barriers and identifying appropriate business models/strategies to stimulate innovation with the goal of maintaining a globally competitive and sustainable European Manufacturing industry.
The approach includes a comprehensive study of KETs across relevant industrial sectors with the objective to formulate guidelines and recommendations for effective, cross-sectorial KETs integration strategies, and for accelerated industrial innovation in addressing key societal goals and economic and societal challenges.
The vision will be supported the following objectives:
- To identify and analyse the existing best, recommendable practices and the main barriers, industrial initiatives and regional cluster projects
- To map from a manufacturing point of view the success and failure factors for KETs integration related to different business/innovation strategies: from this mapping the best practices will be stressed out
- To understand how the current KETs are integrated and adopted by the European industry and society. EU KNIGHTS will measure return on investment, based on tangible outcomes such as products, services and solutions in industrial, societal and novel applications
- To elaborate a new model based on developed EU KNIGHTS’ knowledge and tools for European industrial production, based on more sustainable production and consumption patterns that will be validated and refined on a few selected industrial case studies
- To produce orientations an key recommendations for an effective, sustainable and competitive KETs integration scheme fostering the EU manufacturing industry while answering to societal goals
In a struggling economic environment and competition context, European industry has the difficult task to face grand challenges, while creating more sustainability in its industrial process.
To succeed with such strategic goals, Europe must have a clear understanding of the value adding mechanisms in its economy, so as to implement concrete initiatives that follow a transferable model.
EU KNIGHTS will generate the following:
- A detailed analysis of barriers and best practices for KETs integration in European industrial production
- An identification of the success factors for KETs integration considering the industrial contexts, innovation strategies and stakeholders roles
- A comprehensive model integrating the mechanism for a successful integration of KETs in industrial production
- A set of key recommendations and roadmaps towards the H2020 in order to promote the successful integration of KETs in industrial production
Contact us to find out more
To find out more about the EU Knights project, please contact the project administrator Ms Ruth Strickland.