Manuscripts and Special Collections
   
   
  

Rural Deaneries in the Archdeaconry of Nottingham, 1842-1913

Until spring 1842 there were four deaneries in the Archdeaconry of Nottingham:

  • Bingham
  • Newark
  • Nottingham
  • Retford

A fifth deanery of Southwell was created in 1842.  The Archdeaconry was enlarged by taking in parishes from the Peculiar of Southwell, the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of York, and other Nottinghamshire parishes not previously part of the Archdeaconry. The deaneries of the Archdeaconry were re-ordered accordingly, and the new deanery took in the parishes of the former Peculiar and some neighbouring places.

In 1913, the Archdeaconry of Nottingham was split into two new Archdeaconries: Nottingham, covering the southern half of the county, and Newark, covering the north. This table shows the rural deaneries after 1842 and before 1913. Where dates are given this indicates the year the area became a distinct parish or chapelry. Notes in brackets state whether the parish was formerly part of another deanery or peculiar:

SP - Southwell Peculiar

YP - Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of York

OP - Other Peculiar jurisdiction

BD - Bingham deanery

NwD - Newark deanery

NtD - Nottingham deanery

RD - Retford deanery 

 

Bingham deanery

Barton in Fabis Hickling Stanton-on-the-Wolds
Bingham Holme Pierrepont with Adbolton Sutton Bonington (St Anne)
Bunny with Bradmore Keyworth Sutton Bonington (St Michael)
Clifton with Glapton Kinoulton (OP) Thrumpton
Colston Bassett Kingston-on-Soar Tithby with Cropwell Butler
Cotgrave Langar with Barnstone Tollerton
Cropwell Bishop (SP) Normanton-upon-Soar Upper Broughton (Broughton Sulney)
Costock Owthorpe West Bridgford
East Bridgford Plumtree West Leake
East Leake Radcliffe-on-Trent Whatton
Edwalton Ratcliffe-upon-Soar Widmerpool
Elton Rempstone Wilford
Gotham Ruddington Willoughby-on-the-Wolds
Granby with Sutton Shelford Wysall
Hawksworth Stanford-upon-Soar  

Newark deanery

Averham with Kelham Harby with Swinethorpe (parish formed 1872) Ossington (OP)
Balderton Hawksworth (BD) Scarrington with Aslockton (BD)
Barnby in the Willows Hawton Screveton (BD)
Besthorpe Holme (SP) Shelton
Carlton on Trent (SP) Kneeton (BD) Sibthorpe
Car Colston (BD) Kelham South Collingham
Coddington Langford South Muskham (SP)
Cotham Laxton with Moorhouse South Scarle
Cromwell Marnham Staunton with Kilvington
East Stoke Newark (St Mary Magdalene) Sutton-on-Trent
Elston Newark (St Leonard) (parish formed 1874) Syerston
Elston Chapel (united with Elston 1872) Newark (Christ Church) (parish formed 1858) Thorney
Elston with Elston Chapel (parish formed 1872) Normanton-on-Trent Thoroton (BD)
Farndon North Clifton Thorpe
Flawborough North Collingham Weston
Fledborough North Muskham with Bathley (SP) Winthorpe
Flintham (BD) Norwell (SP)  
Girton Orston (BD)  

Nottingham deanery

Annesley Hucknall under Huthwaite (parish formed 1902) Nottingham (St Andrew) (parish formed 1871)
Arnold Hyson Green (parish formed 1844) Nottingham (St Thomas) (parish formed 1873)
Attenborough Kimberley (parish formed 1848) Nottingham (St Philip) (parish formed 1880)
Awsworth Kirkby-in-Ashfield Nottingham (St Catherine) (parish formed 1882)
Basford Kirkby Woodhouse (parish formed 1901) Nottingham (Emmanuel) (parish formed 1886)
New Basford (parish formed 1847) East Kirkby (parish formed 1903) Nottingham (St George) (parish formed 1887)
Beeston Lambley Nuthall
Bestwood Park (parish formed 1878) Lenton Papplewick
Bilborough Linby Radford (St Peter)
Bramcote Netherfield (parish formed1885) New Radford (Christ Church) (parish formed 1847)
Brinsley (parish formed 1862) Nottingham (St Mary) Selston
Bulwell Nottingham (St Peter) Skegby
Bulcote Nottingham (St Nicholas) Sneinton (St Stephen)
Burton Joyce Nottingham (St James) Sneinton (St Matthias) (parish formed 1869)
Carrington Nottingham (St Paul) (parish formed 1839) Sneinton (St Alban) (parish formed 1888)
Calverton (SP) Nottingham (Holy Trinity) (parish formed 1842) Sneinton (St Christopher) (parish formed 1911)
Carlton in the Willows (1883) Nottingham (St John Baptist) (parish formed 1844) Stapleford
Colwick Nottingham (St Mark) (parish formed 1855) Strelley
Cossall Nottingham (St Matthew) (parish formed 1856) Sutton-in-Ashfield
Eastwood Nottingham (St Luke) (parish formed 1863) Teversal
Gedling with Stoke Bardolph Nottingham (All Saints) (parish formed 1865) Trowell
Greasley with Brinsley (Brinsley separate parish from 1862) Nottingham (St Saviour) (parish formed 1865) Wollaton
Hucknall Torkard Nottingham (St Stephen) (parish formed 1869) Woodborough (SP)

Retford deanery

Austerfield Everton Saundby
Askham (YP) Finningley Scofton with Osberton
Babworth Gamston Scrooby
Bawtry Gringley-on-the-Hill Shireoaks
Beckingham (SP) Grove Sookholme
Blyth Harworth South Leverton
Bole (YP) Hayton with Tiln South Wheatley (SP)
Boughton Headon with Upton Stokeham (YP)
Bothamsall Kirton Sturton-le-Steeple
Carburton Laneham (YP) Sutton-cum-Lound
Carlton in Lindrick Littleborough Treswell
Clarborough (St John the Baptist) Mattersey Tuxford
Clarborough (St Saviour) (parish formed 1829) Misson Walesby
Clayworth Misterton with Stockwith (YP) (West Stockwith separate parish 1892) Warsop
Cottam Misterton (parish formed 1892) Walkeringham
Darlton (SP) North Leverton with Habblesthorpe (SP) West Burton (joined with North Wheatley 1886)
Dunham (SP) North Wheatley (joined with West Burton 1886) West Drayton
East Drayton (YP) North Wheatley with West Burton (parish formed 1886) West Markham (Markham Clinton)
East Markham Norton Cuckney West Retford
East Retford Ordsall West Stockwith (parish formed 1892)
Eaton (SP) Perlethorpe Worksop
Egmanton Ragnall (SP)  
Elkesley Rampton (SP)  

Southwell deanery

Bilsthorpe (RD) Halloughton (SP) Morton (SP)
Bleasby (SP) Hoveringham (NtD) Ollerton (RD)
Blidworth (SP) Hockerton (NwD) Oxton (SP)
Caunton (SP) Kirklington (SP) Pleasley Hill (parish formed 1896)
Eakring (NwD) Kneesall with Ompton (NwD) Rolleston with Fiskerton (NwD)
Edingley (SP) Lowdham (NtD) Southwell (St Mary the Virgin) (SP)
Edwinstowe (RD) Mansfield (St Peter) (NtD) Southwell (Holy Trinity) (parish formed 1845)
Epperstone (NtD) Mansfield (St John) (parish formed 1856) Thurgarton (NtD)
Farnsfield (SP) Mansfield (St Mark) (parish formed 1889) Upton (SP)
Gonalston (NtD) Mansfield Woodhouse (NtD) Wellow (RD)
Halam (SP) Maplebeck (NwD) Winkburn (NwD)

 

Next page: Examples of Articles

 

Manuscripts and Special Collections

Kings Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 4565
fax: +44 (0) 115 846 8651
email: mss-library@nottingham.ac.uk