Edward was the eldest son of John Mellish (1597-1677), merchant tailor of London, and was baptised in the parish of All Hallows, Bread Street. His father purchased the Blyth estate in north Nottinghamshire in 1635.
Edward, a merchant with interests in Oporto, Portugal, returned to England around 1670, and moved to Blyth when he succeeded his father. He demolished the existing house and built the present Blyth Hall in the 1680s.
Edward disinherited the families of his three sisters, having quarrelled especially with his sister Mary Gardner's family. Despite being the guardian of his elder cousin Reason Mellish's three sons, he left his estates in his will to his younger cousin Samuel's son Joseph Mellish.
Edward died in 1703 and was buried in Blyth church.
He was unmarried.
Kings Meadow CampusLenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR
telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 4565
fax: +44 (0) 115 846 8651
Browser does not support script.
Connect with the University of Nottingham through social media and our blogs.
Campus maps | More contact information | Jobs