logo
Manuscripts and Special Collections
   
   
  

Biography of Henry Edward Hugh Pelham-Clinton-Hope, 9th Duke (1907-1988)

The 9th Duke inherited the title from his father, the 8th Duke in 1941, but had already inherited Clumber from his uncle, the 7th Duke. He was educated at Eton and Cambridge University and served in the RAF during the Second World War, achieving the rank of Squadron Leader, and ultimately retiring as a Wing Commander.

By the 1930s the family no longer spent much time in Nottinghamshire and the house at Clumber, mostly dating from after the fire of 1879, was demolished in 1938. The building materials and many of the contents, including the library and rare manuscripts, were sold in 1937 to raise money. A smaller replacement house was planned but never built and the grounds were eventually put up for sale and purchased by the National Trust in 1946. In the 1950s the 9th Duke moved to Wiltshire making Boyton, the former Fane estate, the family's principal seat.

Family

The duke married three times:

  1. In 1931, Eugenia Van Voorhees, the adopted daughter of David Banks of Park Avenue, New York (divorced 1940)
  2. In 1946, Lady Mary Diana Montagu-Stuart-Wortley-Mackenzie (divorced 1959)
  3. In 1959, Sally Ann Wemyss Hope, née Anstice

By his second wife there were two daughters:

  • Lady Patricia (b 1950)
  • Lady Kathleen Marie Gabrielle (b 1951)

 

Archive Collections

  • There are no papers of the 9th Duke of Newcastle under Lyne contained within the Newcastle (Clumber) Collection held at the University of Nottingham.

Published Sources

  • There are no notable published works concerning the 9th Duke, although there are some biographical details in Fletcher, John, Ornament of Sherwood Forest : from ducal estate to public park (Country Books, 2005) [King’s Meadow Campus East Midlands Collection Not 508.G76 FLE]

   

Manuscripts and Special Collections

Kings Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 4565
fax: +44 (0) 115 846 8651
email: mss-library@nottingham.ac.uk