Manuscripts and Special Collections
   
   
  

Timeline

An overview of the main events in Laxton mentioned in this online resource.

Date  Event
c.1066 William the Conquerer grants the manor of Laxton to Geoffrey Alselin. In the next generation it passes through the female line to Robert de Caux
late 11th century A Norman motte and bailey castle is built. Laxton Castle becomes the administrative centre for Sherwood Forest (until the late 13th century)
c.1230 The manor passes into the hands of the de Everingham family
1408 The manor passes to John Roos
16th century A three-gabled brick house, 'Laxton Hall', is built in the grounds of the Norman castle
1618 Gilbert Roos sells the manor to George Villiers, Marquess of Buckingham
1625 The Marquess of Buckingham sells the manor to London merchant Sir William Courten
late 1620s Francis Roos sells the last part of the Roos estate in Laxton to Sir William Courten
1635 Mark Pierce surveys the manor of Laxton
1640 The manor is sold to Robert Pierrepont, 1st Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull
c.1660-1678 Court case over ownership of Cocking Moor, or Westwood Common
1680-1681 Dispute between Laxton and Moorhouse residents over rights of common in Laxton
1684 The manorial court is held only once per year from this point, rather than twice
1726-1732 Minority of Evelyn Pierrepont, 2nd Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull. The manor of Laxton is administered by trustees who consolidate the estate by buying and exchanging land. Westwood Farm, Brockilow Farm, Knapeney Farm and Copthorne Farm are carved out of the edges of the village
early 1730s Enclosure of the common meadows and abolition of grazing rights on the sykes
1736 A survey of the 2nd Duke of Kingston's estate in Laxton is made
1751 Sir Bryan Broughton's estates are offered for sale, and split between numerous small freeholders
1788 The manor of Laxton passes to Charles Medows (1737-1816), who assumed the surname Pierrepont. He was made Earl Manvers in 1806
1789 A survey and plan of Earl Manvers' estate in Laxton is made
1820 A survey and plan of the 2nd Earl Manvers' estate in Laxton is made
1862 A survey and plan of the 3rd Earl Manvers' estates in Laxton is made by Thomas Huskinson
1867 The 3rd Earl Manvers becomes the only substantial landowner in the parish, with enough land to enclose unilaterally if he wished
1903-1908 Substantial re-organisation and consolidation of the open fields. Strips joined together and reduced in number from 1,162 to 263
1906 The 4th Earl Manvers becomes the only owner of land in the open fields of Laxton
1908 New regulations for grazing in Laxton are drawn up
1952 The 6th Earl Manvers sells the manor of Laxton to the Ministry of Agriculture
1953 Cocking Moor, otherwise known as Westwood Common, is enclosed
1979 The Government announces the sale of Laxton
1981 Laxton is bought by the Crown Estate Commissioners

 

Next page: Further reading

 

Manuscripts and Special Collections

Kings Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 4565
fax: +44 (0) 115 846 8651
email: mss-library@nottingham.ac.uk