Department of Music

Frequently Asked Questions

Please find some frequently asked questions of the Music Department below.

We hope that these will answer your query, but if you are still unsure, please contact us at



Can anyone from the department play at my event?

Some of our student societies may be able to get involved. Please see a table of our societies who will be able to advise as to whether they are able to play at your event:

Table of the Music Societies and their contact details
 Name Website Email

 A Cappella 
 Blowsoc (including the University's big band, the Moonlighters)
 DJ Soc
 Revival Gospel Choir  n/a
Can I advertise my music event/summer school/workshop/job to music students and academics?

Please email your advert as a poster (A4 or smaller) to and we will display this in the department if appropriate. If you would like to send a hard copy, please post it to:

Music Department
Arts Centre
University Park

I am looking for an instrument tutor, can you help?

Students registered on music performance modules can recieve lessons from our tutors. It is, however, possible to pay privately for lessons. 

Additionally, many of our students also work as instrument tutors. We are currently updating our records for the 2017/18 academic year. The full list of tutors will be published here once they are confirmed.

Can you send around this call for papers?

Please send all calls for papers to student services who will circulate these if appropriate.

Is it possible to hire venues in the Arts Centre?

It is possible to hire our venues for a fee. For further information, and to get a quote for the hiring of any of the Arts Centre venues, please email

How can I get involved with music at the University of Nottingham?

All of our performance opportunities can be found in our performances page

If you are a student, you might also be interested in contacting one of the student societies, listed in question one.

Can I use the facilities within the department?

There are practice rooms within the Arts Centre that are available to all staff and students at the University. These must be booked in advance, and priority will go to music students. Please email to book a slot with one of the rooms.

What performances are happening in the department?

The department runs recitals and lunchtime concerts. Our upcoming lunchtime concerts are listed here, and recitals will be listed on this page

How do I find out about music courses at the University of Nottingham?

Please direct course or admissions enquiries to or

Alternatively, see our online prospectus and send enquiries through our online enquiries form.

Can I borrow instruments from the department?

Instruments at the University are only for the use of staff, students and established partners and collaborators. If you fall into one of these categories and would like further information, please email

How many performance lessons do music students receive?
Students on performance modules receive 16 hours of one-to-one tuition in the first year, 18 hours in the second year, and 20 hours in the third year. Any further tuition, such as on a second instrument, needs to be paid for privately. 
What kind of performance do you do other than classical?
We have students studying electric guitar, folk fiddle, musical theatre and a variety of less conventional instruments. We teach all types of music. 



Department of Music

The University of Nottingham
Lakeside Arts Centre
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

Admission enquiries
All other enquiries
Telephone: +44 (0)115 951 5841