8µm paraffin wax sections.
1. Solochrome Cyanin Solution
--Solochrome Cyanin RS 0.2g
--Distilled Water 96cm3
--10% Iron Alum 4cm3
--Concentrated Sulphuric Acid 0.5cm3
Add 0.5cm3 concentrated sulphuric acid to 0.2g solochrome cyanin RS in a flask. Stir well until the dye goes into solution. Add 96cm3 distilled water and 4cm3 10% aqueous iron alum. Mix and filter. The solution keeps well.
2. 5% Iron Alum
3. Borax-ferricyanide Differentiator.
--Potassium Ferricyanide 25g
--Distilled Water 2000ml
1. Take sections to water
2. Stain in solochrome cyanin solution for 20-30 minutes.
3. Wash in water until the sections turn blue.
4. Differentiate in 5% iron alum 5-10 minutes.
5. Complete the differentiation in borax-ferricyanide differentiator. (The myelin should be blue and the nuclei and background should be cream/white).
6. Dehydrate, clear . Mount sections in DPX
Myelin and red blood cells - Blue.
Nuclei and background - Colourless.
NOTE: No responsibility is assumed by The University of Nottingham or the Queens Medical Centre NHS Trust for any injury and/or damage to persons or property as a matter of products liability, negligence or
otherwise, or from any use or operation of any methods, products, instructions or ideas contained in the material herein. It is the users responsibilty to ensure that all procedures are carried out according to appropriate Health and Safety requirements.
© Copyright 1997 University of Nottingham Medical School Division of Histopathology. This page was last built on Mon, May 5, 1997
with Frontier. Thanks for looking in. Comments to James.Lowe@nottingham.ac.uk