WARTHIN - STARRY (Youngs Modification)
1. Prepare and heat solutions to 56°c. (Use waterbath)
2. Bring sections to water (3 test + 3 control).
3. Place in 1% silver solution at 56°c for 1 hour (Coplin jar).
4. Add 2.5ml of 2% silver to the gelatine solution.
5. Drain off slides and leave in coplin jar.
6. Add 3ml of hydroquinol to silver/gelatin solution and pour into a coplin jar over the slides.
7. Remove 1 test and 1 control slide at intervals judging development by eye. (Usually by 1-3 mins, sections should be yellow/pale brown).
8. Wash carefully they are HOT!!
9. Dehydrate, clear . Mount sections in DPX
--Spirochaetes + some bacilli - black
--Background - Yellow
--0.2m Sodium Acetate 1.5ml
--0.2m Acetic Acid 18.5ml
--Distilled Water 480ml
--pH 3.7 store at 4°c
--1% Silver Nitrate in buffer 50ml
--2% Silver Nitrate in buffer 10ml
--Gelatin Solution 3g in 45ml buffer
--Hydroquinine (Quinol) 0.3g in 7ml buffer
NOTE: No responsibility is assumed by The University of Nottingham or the Queens Medical Centre NHS Trust for any injury and/or damage to persons or property as a matter of products liability, negligence or
otherwise, or from any use or operation of any methods, products, instructions or ideas contained in the material herein. It is the users responsibilty to ensure that all procedures are carried out according to appropriate Health and Safety requirements.
© Copyright 1997 University of Nottingham Medical School Division of Histopathology. This page was last built on Mon, May 5, 1997
with Frontier. Thanks for looking in. Comments to James.Lowe@nottingham.ac.uk