Professor of Biomedical Surfaces is Head of the Division of Biophysics and Surface Analysis, Royal Society-Wolfson Research Merit Award holder, Faculty of Science
Morgan Alexander is Professor of Biomedical Surfaces at the School of Pharmacy, University of Nottingham and a Royal Society-Wolfson Research Merit Award holder. He received his Bachelor of Science in Materials in 1988 and his PhD from the same department at The University of Sheffield in 1992.
He leads the Laboratory of Biophysics and Surface Analysis which consists of 8 independent academics with complementary expertise in solving fundamental and applied biomolecular, biomaterial and (bio)formulation problems.
His group develops materials for application in biological environments, characterising relationships between the surface and biological response. Understanding these relationships is critical in the development of the biomaterials of the future and is the theme running through his group's work across a variety of biomedical application areas spanning bacterial adhesion to controlling stem cell response.
He has contributed to books on surface chemical modification and analysis and has authored over 140 papers dealing with surfaces in high quality peer reviewed publications, including research articles in Nature Biotechnology, Nature Materials, PNAS, Nature Communications, Advanced Materials, and Biomaterials. This research is highly interdisciplinary, involving collaborators from a wide variety of fields including regenerative medicine, neuroscience, developmental biology, pharmaceutics, materials processing, plasma physics and nanofabrication. This work is funded by The Wellcome Trust, EPSRC, BBSRC, EMDA, MRC, DSTL and industry. A number of his group have gone on to take up lectureships.
See a video here explaining high throughput materials discovery.
- 2010 - present Head of The Laboratory of Biophysics and Surface Analysis.
- 2010 - present Professor of Biomedical Surfaces, The University of Nottingham.
- 2004 - 2010 Associate Professor and Reader of Biomedical Surface Analysis.
- 1998 - 2003 EPSRC Advanced Research Fellow and Senior Lecturer, UMIST.
- 1996 - 1998 EU Marie Curie Fellow, Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1, France.
- 1993 -1996 Post Doctoral Researcher, Department of Engineering Materials, University of Sheffield.
- 1992 - 1993 Surface Analyst, CSMA Ltd, Manchester.
- 1988 - 1992 PhD, The University of Sheffield.
- 1985 - 1988 B.Sc. Tech., Materials Science, The University of Sheffield.
Honours and Distinctions
- Royal Society-Wolfson Research Merit Award holder 2012-2017.
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry 2008.
- Chair of EPSRC Materials Programme funding panel 2004.
- EPSRC Advanced Research Fellow 1998-2003.
- EPSRC Peer Review College member 1999 to date.