It offers you opportunity to study at one of our partner universities as part of their degree programme.
You will be supported through the process of application by a designated member of academic staff within the department. We have an excellent success rate, with 100% of applicants in 2014 gaining a place to study abroad for a semester.
I left Nottingham in February 2013, shedding my winter coat and boots in exchange for shorts and flip-flops, and an endlessly sunny semester at Australian National University in Canberra (ranked well within the top 10 in the world for philosophy and a home to outstanding philosophers past and present), and what can only be described as a metamorphic experience.
Nothing could have prepared me for the five months I was there. I arrived with the inevitable apprehensions, turbulences and only the most playful of xenophobic tendencies, but I soon adapted and grew to love my new environment and the warmth of its culture. On my return, I'd be lying if I said I didn’t feel pangs of loss for my semester abroad, but the memories, people, and insights remain and I could not recommend the university exchange programme more highly.
Joseph Harvey-Whyte Pradhan (BA Philosophy, 2013)
As an Philosophy student, you can apply to study abroad for one semester in your third year taking advantage of the school’s links with the following internationally renowned universities:
- Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
- Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- University of Melbourne, Australia
- University of Adelaide, Australia
- University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
- University of Sydney, Australia
- University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
- University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
- University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
- University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- McGill University, Montreal, Canada
- University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China (teaching is in English)
- University College Dublin, Ireland
- Tec de Monterrey (ITESM), Mexico (teaching is in English)
- University of Auckland, New Zealand
- National University of Singapore, Singapore (teaching is in English)
- Lund University, Lund, Sweden (teaching is in English)
- Oregon State University, Corvallis, USA
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville, USA
- University of Connecticut, Storrs, USA
Partner university factsheets
Free language courses available at the Language Centre
Joseph Harvey-Whyte perched on the shore of Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsunday Islands, Australia.
If you do decide to apply to spend time abroad during your course, the University’s International Office will offer support from the application stage right through to your return to the UK, with advice on everything from immigration to possible sources of financial support