The Engines Research Group (ERG) interacts directly with industry to advance powertrain development, introduce new technology and pursue fundamental studies which support this.
Areas of study include:
- the performance and operation of engines during cold-start and warm-up
- mixture preparation
- cold-engine friction characteristics
- emissions of hydrocarbons
- CO and NOx control of these within limits permitted by European and other International standards
- biofuels and optical analysis of combustion
The group is working on engine management system applications, new control strategy concepts and calibration techniques and in areas where new methodologies for rapid, cost-effective development are required.