It is becoming increasingly important for researchers to build an international profile and reputation. Research excellence is not only about publishing in internationally excellent outlets, it is also about impact and esteem indicators.
In addition, networking and visibility can build research links between your school and centres of excellence in other countries, increasing opportunities for funding your research and potentially leading to enhanced career opportunities.
Researchers can apply for funding to support international academic visits through University of Nottingham schemes or external schemes; both are detailed below.
University of Nottingham schemes
Building Experience and Skill Travel Scholarship (BESTS)
Travel Prize for Research Staff
- Up to 2 months
- £3,000 for study visit
- Up to £600 for conference attendance
UK Research Councils
- BBSRC International Scientific Interchange Scheme
- EPSRC Overseas Travel Grants
Royal Society International Exchanges Scheme
- The British Council's Newton Fund is a source of funding for travel grants and workshops for early career researchers to help form international connections
- e.g. The Leverhulme Trust, but there are other smaller and discipline-specific charities (if you're unsure, your school/department should be able to advise you on this)
Marie Curie Initial Training Networks