The key document is the University Code of Practice for Laser Safety. The key adminstrative elements are:
- Schools where lasers are used should appoint a School Laser Supervisor.
- Each School should have a list of all non-office equipment lasers and laser users.
- Each School must maintain a record of users of Class 3R and above lasers. There are forms available (see below) but these do not need to be sent to the Safety Office.
- Each School must register lasers of Class 3R and above on the University Form and send a copy to the Safety Office.
- A laser survey form must be completed for each laser system of Class 3R and above prior to first use and and on an annual basis thereafter.
- Prior to use for the first time of any laser of Class 3R and above, a risk assessment must be completed and written procedures for use produced.
- Risk assessments and laser survey forms for Class 3B and 4 lasers must be forwarded to the Safety Office with the laser registration form prior to first use.
- No Class 3B or 4 laser system should be put into use for the first time with out the approval of the School Laser Supervisor, and if necessary, the Safety Office.
REGISTRATION FORMS (html versions will be available shortly)
Laser Survey Form (Word Version)
Laser Registration Form (Word Version
Laser User Registration Form (For School Use Only)
Screening Questionnaire for Prospective Users of Class 3B or 4 Users (Word Version)
NPL Training Film for Class 3B and Class 4 laser users
Laser System Registration Form
Laser User Registration Form
Laser Survey Form
Laser Eye Form (For Class 3B and 4 users)
Assistant Safety Officer (Mon-Wed)
University of Nottingham
Nottingham NG7 2NR
Tel +44 (0) 115 951 3301
Mob 07920 563930