For number of years Professor Evetts has been researching and writing about professions and occupations including women's and men's careers in teaching, banking and science and engineering in industrial organisations.
She has worked on projects to do with the armed forces, journalism, foster care and social work. She is currently working on the increased use of the concept of professionalism as a mechanism of occupational change and social control in work organisations; and the role of the scientific and engineering institutes in the UK.
She has extensive experience of policy, practice, evaluation and assessment in the field of sociology of professional groups, practitioners and clients. This is a field in which she has an established international reputation and has contributed extensively both conceptually and theoretically as well as empirically.
In 2010 it was announced by Sage Publications that her 2003 paper published in International Sociology was the highest cited and down-loaded paper in the two ISA sociology journals.
- 2010 Sociology of Professions. Continental and Anglo-Saxon Traditions (eds) with Lennart G. Svensson. Daidalos: Sweden. Pp. 209. ISBN 978-91-7173-316-0.
- 2003 Conceptual and Comparative Studies of Continental and Anglo-American Professions (eds) with Lennart G. Svensson. Goteborg Studies in Sociology No 129, Goteborg University. pp. 177.
- 2010 'Revisiting the Role of Formal and Practical Knowledge from a Sociology of the Professions Perspective'. Current Sociology 58(1): 94-118. With Samo Pavlin and Ivan Svetlik. January.
- 2009 'New Professionalism and New Public Management: changes, continuities and consequences'. Comparative Sociology 8: pp.247-266, Koninklijke Brill NV: Leiden.
- 2008 'The Management of Professionalism: a contemporary paradox'. Zeitschrift für Sozialreform (Journal for Social Reform) 'Management of Professional Performance - Professionality Through Management?'. 54 (2008) Lucius & Lucius: Stuttgart. Pp. 97-106. ISSN 0514-2776
- 2008 Introduction: Professional Work in Europe: concepts, theories and methodologies.Professional Work in Europe: Concepts, Theories. Edited by J. Evetts. Special issue of European Societies. 10 (4), pp. 525-544. September 2008.
- 2006 Short Note: 'The Sociology of Professional Groups: new directions'. Current Sociology 54 (1) pp. 133-143, Jan. ISSN 0011-3921.
- 2006 'Introduction: Trust and Professionalism: Challenges and Occupational Changes'.
- In J. Evetts (ed) Trust and Professionalism in Knowledge Societies. Current Sociology vol. 54 (4) Monograph 2. pp. 515-531. July.
- 2005 'The Engineering and Science Institutions in the UK: changes, ambiguities and current challenges'. European Journal of Engineering Education vol.30 (3) pp. 299-308 [With Derek Jefferies] ISSN 0304-3797.
- 2003 'The Sociological Analysis of Professionalism: occupational change in the modern world'. International Sociology, vol.18 (2) pp. 395-415, Sage: London. ISSN 0268-5809