Top frequently asked questions


General FAQs

What is the ranking of The University of Nottingham? 

For information on our UK and international rankings visit the following web pages.

  • UK league tables
  • International league tables
How much are tuition fees? 

For the tuition fees that are payable by home, European Union and international students in all years of their course please see the Student fees and finance web page. 

What are the term dates and other key University dates? 

To view the dates of terms and semesters for the academic year, and other key dates, please visit our key university dates web pages. 

What courses do you offer? 

Undergraduate degrees

Our bachelor degree programmes are listed in the A-Z course index of our online Undergraduate Prospectus. You can also request a paper copy of the Undergraduate Prospectus.

Postgraduate degrees 

We offer a full range of taught and research degrees at postgraduate level, all of which place emphasis on equipping postgraduates with specific analytical and research skills. This training enables our postgraduates to make a real contribution to their field of research, enjoying the benefits of working with, and learning from, internationally recognised research specialists.

Information about our postgraduate courses is available in our online Postgraduate Prospectus. You can also request a paper copy of the Postgraduate Prospectus.

Please note that most taught masters courses start in September of each year and that we do not usually offer January/February start dates.

Foundation programmes

The University of Nottingham offers one-year foundation programmes in:

  • arts and social sciences
  • business
  • engineering 
  • science   

These courses are aimed at those students who do not have the required qualifications to gain direct entrance to bachelor degree programmes.

What are the entry requirements for your courses? 

For course entry requirements please see the online Undergraduate Prospectus or the online Postgraduate Prospectus

What can I do after I have graduated? 

Please see our Careers and Employability Service web pages for advice on looking for jobs and careers after University. 

Can I visit the University?

The best time to visit the University is during one of our open days, campus tours or other official events. Details of our events for prospective students are as follows.

Postgraduates can also visit us online at our postgraduate virtual open day.

If you are unable to make one of our organised events, please feel free to come and conduct a self-guided tour around the campuses at any time. The University operates an open campus policy. A Self-guided campus tour brochure will help you find your way around campus.

How can I order a prospectus? 

The University’s prospectuses can be ordered online:

If you would like the prospectus in an alternative format, such as audio, Braille or large print, please contact us:

telephone: +44 (0)115 951 4591
email: alternativeformats@nottingham.ac.uk

How do I get to the University? 
Maps and directions to the University are available on our website.
Does the University have accommodation on campus? 
Yes, the University has a variety of accommodation. Information can be located on our Accommodation website
Does the University have any sports facilities?

The University has great sporting facilities on its campuses, including gyms, tennis courts, football pitches, a swimming pool and more.

For further information please visit the Department of Sport website. There are also plenty of sports clubs to get involved with.

What English language qualifications do I need? 
The main qualifications that the University look for from non-English speaking applications are either IELTS or TOEFL. However other qualifications may be accepted. Each academic school/department within the University sets individual English requirements. Please contact the school/department that you are interested in applying to for details.
Where can I find help for international students? Is there a section for my nationality?

Information for international students can be found via our International Office website.

The International Office has a your country section, where you can find information specifically for your nationality.

Can I park my car on campus? 

Students who live in halls of residence or who have a term-time address within a radius of 15 miles of University Park or Jubilee Campuses are not eligible for a concessionary permit. Students based at Sutton Bonington are eligible for a concessionary parking permit (at 50% of the usual cost). Please contact Security for further information about parking at the University. 



Undergraduate FAQs

How do I apply for an undergraduate course? 
For undergraduate degree programmes an application must be made online through UCAS. Full details about the application process can be found in the online Undergraduate Prospectus.
Does the University accept alternative qualifications to A levels for undergraduate degree courses? 

The University accepts a range of alternative qualifications in addition to standard A levels. If you require further guidance, please contact the academic school that you are interested in. Their admissions staff will be happy to assist you. Contact details can be located through our online Undergraduate Prospectus

Where can I find information about bursaries and financial support?
Information about funding for our undergraduate degree courses can be located on our Financial Support Team's website.

I want to apply to start university in the year before the course information that is currently being displayed on the online prospectus. How do I do that?

If you would like to apply for a place in the year before the course information that is currently being displayed on the online prospectus, that may be possible depending on course start dates and the availability of course places. Please contact the Enquiry Centre for further information:

e: undergraduate-enquiries@nottingham.ac.uk
t: +44 (0)115 951 5559


Postgraduate FAQs

How can I apply for a postgraduate course? 

The best way to apply for postgraduate study is online at our Applicants' Portal. Full details about the application process can be found in the online Postgraduate Prospectus

When do I apply for a postgraduate course? 

The academic year at The University of Nottingham starts in mid-September each year and most taught postgraduate courses begin at this time. Applications can be made any time in the preceding 12 months, preferably at least six months before you start your studies here. However, applications made later than that will always be considered if places remain available. It is important when you are submitting an application that you have completed all the necessary sections and enclosed all the relevant documentation to ensure that your application can be processed as quickly as possible.

Is there a deadline for postgraduate applications? 

For the majority of postgraduate courses there is no closing date for applications, but as the term starts at the end of September you would have to apply by July/August. There is, however, a closing date for overseas applicants of 12 August to allow for the processing of visas. We recommend applying sooner rather than later.

The following courses are the exceptions.

  • Doctorate in Forensic Psychology & Top-Up Doctorate in Forensic Psychology – 28 February
  • Master of Law (LLM) courses ─ 31 May; applications that arrive after this date will not be eligible for funding  
  • Master of Business - last working day of July or before (dependant on availability of places)

For some courses the applications have to be made by UCAS with a closing date of 15 January, for example:  

  • Graduate Entry Nursing ─ Adult
  • Graduate Entry Nursing ─ Mental Health
  • Masters in Social Work 

However, if you want to apply for funding you have to do this by February or March, after you have been offered a place at The University of Nottingham.

Where do I send my supporting documents? 

We accept documents via email to PG-Applications-Enquiries@nottingham.ac.uk in order to make a decision on an application.  Please note that if an offer of a place is made, this may be conditional upon receipt of originals or certified copies.

What funding is available to postgraduate students? 

Details about funding for postgraduate students can be found in the online Postgraduate Prospectus.

How long will it take to get a decision on my postgraduate application? 

If you have applied for a taught masters course, we aim to have a decision to you within six to eight weeks provided you have sent all your supporting documents. If you have applied online you will receive an email message once the status of your application has changed.

If your application was for a research degree (MPhil or PhD), the decision-making process can take several weeks to be processed as your application may need to be passed to several members of academic staff in order to find a suitable supervisor.

What grades do I need to gain entry onto a masters programme? 

Applicants should hold a good first degree with at least a second-class honours or an equivalent qualification. However we will be taking all aspects of your application into consideration including academic background, work history and references. Requirements for individual programmes of study may vary. Please see the school web pages for details.

What is the difference between taught courses and research courses?  

The difference between taught and research degrees is that the taught courses are generally delivered by a lecturer in a lecture theatre or seminar room, and research degrees are generally research-led and involve a large amount of reading or lab and field work.

Do you have courses that start in January? 

Most of the masters courses begin in September except the following masters which begin in September and January.

  • education
  • public administration
  • public policy
  • social policy and administration 
  • special needs    

The online learning courses also have start dates in January, April and September.

Subjects that have an intake in January are the:

  • part-time MBAs   

The part-time MBAs can start in either September or January, apart from the Executive MBA that is solely part-time and their start dates are dependent upon when particular modules start.

Most English-speaking electronic communications and computing engineering students start in January, but any non-English speaking students have to start in September. However, the MRes in Electrical and Electronic Engineering and the MRes in Electromagnetics in the Analysis and Design of Communication and High-Speed Systems can start in January as it is a research degree. Otherwise, all other masters courses start in September.

What accommodation is offered to postgraduate students?

We have six accommodation sites and eight room types. You are guaranteed a room in self-catered University-arranged accommodation for one year if you meet our accommodation guarantee criteria. Alternatively you may prefer to live in privately rented accommodation. If you have a disability and need accessible accommodation, you’ll be guaranteed a suitable room in University-arranged accommodation for the duration of your studies, if you meet our accommodation guarantee criteria.

Find out more about our accommodation options.

Are postgraduates generally more employable? What is the average starting salary of a Nottingham postgraduate?

More than 90% of our postgraduates enter employment, voluntary work or further study during the first six months after graduation.*

Recent figures (2009/10) showed the average starting salary for Nottingham PhD graduates was £29,479, 37% higher than for first degree graduates, with the highest salary being £68,000.** The average starting salary among those graduating from taught masters courses was £24,558, 14% higher than for first degree graduates, with the highest starting salary being £90,000.**

*The Graduate Market 2011

**Known destinations of 2009/10 graduates who studied full time


The University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus FAQs

What courses are offered at The University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus (UNMC)?

We offer a range of foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate courses. Course details and entry requirements can be found in the online prospectus.

What are the tuition fees and are there any scholarships?

Please refer to the list of tuition fees on the UNMC website.

We offer a range of scholarship opportunities for both home (Malaysian) and international students.

How can I apply?
Applications are made online directly to the University. The intake dates and application deadlines can be found on the 'When to Apply' page.
What is the accommodation like at UNMC?
We offer a variety accommodation to suit different budgets on campus as well as off campus. Please refer to the list of common questions for useful information, including how to apply for accommodation.


The University of Nottingham China Campus FAQs

What courses are offered at The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC)?
We offer a range of foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate courses. Please visit the online prospectus for course details and entry requirements for InternationalHong Kong, Macau and Taiwan or Domestic (China) students.
What are the tuition fees and are there any scholarships?

Please refer to the list of tuition fees on the UNNC website for InternationalHong Kong, Macau and Taiwan or Domestic (China) students.

There are undergraduate and postgraduate scholarship opportunities, and you can find out about eligibility and how to apply by clicking on your student category and level of study in the online prospectus.

How can I apply?

To apply for a course at UNNC you need to download an application form, fill it in and return it to the Recruitment & Admissions Office by email or post.

You can find the correct form for your nationality along with the relevant deadline via the Study With Us section of the UNNC website.

What is the accommodation like at UNNC?

There is a range of on-campus accommodation which is fully furnished and equipped, close to the teaching buildings and with either individual or shared facilities. More details and fees can be found on the Accommodation pages of the InternationalHong Kong, Macau and Taiwan or Domestic (China) students’ web pages.

It is also possible to live off-campus.








The University of Nottingham

University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0)115 951 5559
fax: +44 (0)115 846 7778
email: enquiries@nottingham.ac.uk