Trent & Peak Archaeology / The University of NottinghamGolden Fleece, 105 Mansfield RoadThe Golden Fleece public house was built before 1840 as one of a string of new developments along the newly-enclosed North road from the city. Despite being an ancient medieval road there were few buildings this far outside the town until the nineteenth century.The Golden Fleece has three levels of cellars below ground level. The upper two are brick-lined throughout but the lowest level is a deep sandstone cave. It is almost certainly of the same date as the pub above. The caves are part of the pub’s working cellars and therefore there is no public access to cave MC10 at the moment.