Latest UCU Local News Letter - March 2013
All newsletters, including the latest, can be found here
This new local committee initiative aims to inform members about LA activities undertaken on their behalf. We hope it proves of interest. Please send feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The local UCU committee is organising a mini-series of talks around the theme:
The Age of Austerity:
Fighting Cuts and Privatisation
"The Impact on Women"
Monday 13 May, 1 - 2pm
D138 Portland Building
(see poster here)
The TUC has argued that the cuts ‘are likely to have a major impact on gender equality and women’s human rights’. In the third of our series of talks about the local impact of the coalition’s programme of austerity, we are welcoming Melanie Jeffs, Manager of Nottingham Women’s Centre. Melanie will be discussing how cuts and privatisation are affecting women in Nottingham in terms of jobs and services and the ways in which the Women’s Centre is attempting to mitigate the worst effects of cuts and privatisation.
This is an open event. Please pass on the information to colleagues and students in your area, and display the poster if possible. All are welcome!
Full details of the campaign are at: http://www.ucu.org.uk/defenduss
Newsletter for Academic-Related members ("... and related")
The latest edition of this twice-yearly newsletter, together with an archive of previous issues, can be found on the national UCU page via this link: ... and related
Who are UCU?
With almost 120,000 members nationwide we have a powerful voice when representing our members: in parliament, with the national employers’ body and with funding councils. We represent all academic and research staff; all staff at Level 4 and above in the APM job family (Administrative, Professional & Managerial staff, previously called “academic related”) and postgraduates who work for the University in roles analogous to the above, such as demonstrating, teaching and tutoring. We represent full-time and part-time staff, people on fixed-term and “permanent” contracts, and hourly paid staff.
Membership Benefits: Advice is available from a team of experienced Nottingham UCU officers. If you encounter any difficulty in your employment -- for example, if you wish to raise a grievance, or if you become the subject of a complaint or disciplinary action -- we can provide support and advice. If you wish us to, we can accompany and/or represent you in any hearings related to such matters; or if you prefer we can simply provide background assistance. See How can we help? for more information. UCU also provides an excellent legal protection scheme which gives you access to professional legal advice, subject to scheme rules. Details are available on the national website.
We can provide support only if your problem occurs after you join us. Join us today and get protection for you and your career. If you would like to join us or discuss a problem you are experiencing, please contact us.
Training events: UCU runs a programme of training events which any member may attend. For further details of any events currently on offer, please contact us, or see the national web site.
Please find below a link to information about a new UCU training course, 'Green Reps': http://www.ucu.org.uk/index.cfm?articleid=3998
This is a two day course (held in London) designed for UCU members who wish to develop their understanding of climate change and ways to protect the environment through change at work.
- Campaigns Update. A regular bulletin of national issues. See the latest edition here.
- Q&A re off-campus parking. Clarification of some issues arising from introduction of new parking charges: see here.
- Training events
UCU runs a programme of training events which any member may attend. For further details of any events currently on offer, see here, or contact us.
- For a Public University. A workshop held at the University of Nottingham - 15 June 2012. See details here.
- Activity / Performance Review. Proposals negotiated with management have been endorsed by members in a ballot. See details here. (updated 12 March 2012)
- Report on March 2011 strike days. A brief report on the strikes at Nottingham is here.
- Open Forum: 26 January 2011. A report on the forum can be found here.
- Implications of Browne and CSR. UCU's summary and analysis document (November 2010) here
- USS Review 2010. Help UCU defend your pension: see here (updated 21 October).
- Savings & Efficiency Initiative. Members are encouraged to contribute their comments and suggestions. See more here.
- "United for Education" Rally - 20 June 2010. Brief report and pictures here.
- Terms & Conditions Review Details of the package of terms and conditions of employment, which came into effect in October 2008 following their acceptance by UCU members, can be found here.