Studying Veterinary Medicine and Surgery at Nottingham
Why Study Veterinary Medicine and Surgery at Nottingham?
We believe that the Nottingham Veterinary School offers a ground-breaking opportunity for new approaches to veterinary education with the development of our 5-Year course.
- We provide a course which integrates hands-on clinical practice from day one and is delivered using innovative teaching methods.
- Vet students at Nottingham gain substantial early experience with animals, right from the first day of the course, ensuring that you gain practice in animal management and handling together with understanding of the ‘normal’ animal.
- An understanding of research and the in-depth study of a particular subject is an integral part of the course for all students at Nottingham; this is recognised with the award of the BVMedSci degree at the end of Year 3.
- Your studies will include time spent at the new purpose-built clinical teaching facilities of the Veterinary School and other on-site facilities. In addition you will spend time at local Clinical Associates, where you will be taught by our University academics. This approach ensures exposure to a significant relevant clinical caseload.
- Our problem-oriented approach to learning will provide you, on graduation, with core competencies that include problem solving skills and an understanding of research, preparing you well for your future professional development.
Nottingham Veterinary School is also offering two unique 6-Year courses for able students who either do not have the required science qualifications for direct entry into Year 1 of the 5-Year programme or provides an opportunity to upskill capable students who might not otherwise consider entry onto the profession.
- We will build on your high academic achievement in non-science or vocational subjects or your extensive practical experience and provide you with the relevant scientific knowledge required for the later years of the course.
- Your fundamental scientific understanding will be set in the context of animal structure, function, health and husbandry. You will also develop animal handling skills and an appreciation of the role of animals in society.
- Years 2 to 6 follow the programme of the 5-Year BVM BVS with integrated BVMedSci course.
Nottingham students in the British Veterinary Association/Association of Veterinary Students 2008/9 survey overwhelmingly rated their course higher on every category (subject area coverage, relevancy of course, interest of course, quality of lecturing and practicals and balance of lectures and practicals) than all other vet schools, with many categories gaining not a single negative opinion.
The Veterinary School has state-of-the-art facilities, including a large lecture theatre and seminar rooms, numerous small-group teaching rooms, dissection and teaching laboratories, surgery suite, and clinical skills laboratory. In addition, the School infrastructure has been designed to maximise e-learning, for example by investing in electronic whiteboards and video technology. The school also provides stables for students' horses, a large indoor ménage and a dedicated smallholding.
Based at the University’s Sutton Bonington Campus, the new Veterinary School is also well placed to make best use of the current excellent teaching, research and student facilities. These include teaching and research facilities for cattle, pigs, poultry and sheep, associated with the University's commercial farm, which includes a high-tech dairy facility.
The Sutton Bonington campus itself is located in the beautiful countryside of South Nottinghamshire and possesses its own library, sports centre, housing and social amenities. There are free regular daily and evening bus services to the University Park campus in Nottingham and Nottingham City Centre allowing you to also take full advantage of the social and sporting activities available there
Why Choose The University of Nottingham?
Well, that depends on what you’re looking for. If it’s academic excellence then Nottingham is the place for you. Renowned internationally for our top class teaching and groundbreaking research, Nottingham is respected worldwide and offers fantastic facilities to ensure you make a success of your studies.
In independent teaching assessments, 39 of our subjects have been awarded excellent ratings of between 22 and 24 out of 24, and our scores in the latest Research Assessment Exercise put Nottingham in the top ten institutions in the UK for carrying out research of international importance.
If you’re more interested in great career prospects, then we can help with that too. At Nottingham we encourage all our students to build a broad range of skills that will appeal to employers. We have one of the most active Students’ Unions in the UK with over 150 societies where you can gain new skills, meet new people and even learn a new language. Nottingham is one of the top three UK universities most often targeted by Britain’s leading graduate employers and the employment record of our graduates is one of the best in the country.
For a great social life and an exciting city, Nottingham fits the bill again. Our campuses are buzzing with life, with organised events, trips and parties taking place throughout the year. For sport fans, our Athletics Union hosts over 75 clubs and we offer fantastic facilities for everything from football to bowling. Nottingham itself is a thriving cosmopolitan city, rich with history and culture, and packed full of bars, restaurants and nightclubs for you to take advantage of. With theatres, cinemas, comedy clubs and a diverse mix of music venues, there is always plenty to keep you entertained.
If you want to broaden your horizons and see the world, we offer great study abroad opportunities. Nottingham is a global institution with around 30,000 students from over 140 countries, and we have more than 270 partner universities in 35 countries. As a result, every Nottingham undergraduate, no matter what course they choose, has the opportunity to travel abroad.
To help you settle in, we guarantee all undergraduates a place in University-arranged accommodation so your move will be more simple and stress-free. Your room will be on or near campus and you’ll be able to meet new people, make new friends and enjoy university life. So why not make your next step Nottingham?
Top of page