Dr Ahmed is an Associate Professor of Computer Vision and Image Analysis, in the School of Computer Science. Before joining the University of Nottingham, he held several research and academic positions (since 2005) in various UK universities (including Surrey and Lincoln). He also worked in the industry for several years, including in Sharp Labs of Europe (SLE), Oxford (UK), as a Research Scientist, and other Engineering Consultants companies abroad.
Amr successfully supervised a number of PhD and MSc by research students, and couple of RAs and Post-Docs on his research projects. He is a Member of the British Computer Society (MBCS). He received his Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering and M.Sc. degree (by research) in Computer and Systems Engineering, from Ain Shams University, Egypt, in 1993 and 1998 respectively, and his Ph.D. degree in Computer Graphics and Animation from the University of Surrey, U.K., in 2005.
Amr's main expertise is in Computer Vision, Image and Video analysis, and particularly for Medical and Health-related applications, as well as the AgriFood Technology.
For more information about the current, previous, and future research areas, please have a look at Amr's blog & webpage at "http://amrahmed.net"
Taught & Teaching (including designing, developing and delivering) a range of Computer Science subjects, such as:
Digital Contents Analysis,
Amr's research interest and expertise is focused on the applications of computer vision and image/video processing for analysis, understanding, and interpretation of visual contents (Images and… read more
SADDAM BEKHET and AMR AHMED, 2020. Evaluation of Similarity Measures for Video Retrieval Multimedia Tools and Applications. 79(9), 6265–6278
TENG, S., KOK WEI, K., PAHEVAN, S. and AHMED, A., 2020. Do You Eat Healthily? A Descriptive and Predictive Analysis of YouTube Video Comments on Healthy Eating JMIR Public Health and Surveillance. 6(4), e19618
AMAL CHOUCHENE, WALID BARHOUMI and AMR AHMED, 2020. Retinal blood vessel segmentation in fundus images based on morphological operators within entropy information In: 13th International Conference on Machine Vision (ICMV2020).
We welcome potential Collaborators, RAs, and PhD/MSc research students to get in touch and discuss any potential research proposal/idea.
Keep in eye on this space: news, positions, ...etc.
We are keen to attract highly qualified students, including internships and short-term projects/visits. Please get in touch if you are interested in joining us at any relevant level.
Amr's research interest and expertise is focused on the applications of computer vision and image/video processing for analysis, understanding, and interpretation of visual contents (Images and Videos). His current (and previous) research topics include:
- Video Analysis: Matching, Similarity, annotation, scene understanding and Semantic Analysis.
- Medical Image/Video Analysis & health-related applications, including::
- Digital Pathology (e.g. Detection and Classification of BE, Breast Cancer detection, segmentation and classification).
- CAD (Computer Aided Diagnosis) systems, e.g.:
- Liver Characterization.
- Lesion detection, segmentation, and classification.
- Breast Cancer (mammograms)
- Personalized Health screening & monitoring (non/less-invasive approaches).
- CBIR and fusion of multimodal data for diagnosis.
- Surgery planning and Virtual Training.
- Integration of knowledge with computer vision for semantic analysis and diagnosis.
- Contents-Based Image Retrieval (CBIR).
- Handwriting recognition, especially in Arabic.
- Video Shot-boundaries detection. (Sharp-Labs)
- Automatic 3D motion editing and synthesis of realistic 3D character animation (from MOCAP).
- Handwriting Recognition (of Arabic).
- Text Analysis: Psycholinguistic, Author/group identification in forums, ...etc.
Computer Vision and Image/Video Analysis in:
- (continue) Medical & health (Pathology, Cancer, Retina,...etc.)
- Crops monitoring & grading.
- Animal monitoring.
- Food grading and quality.