PhD (full-time) - currently registered
A cross-cultural study of medieval Scandinavian expansion and settlement into England and Ukraine in the 9th and 10th centuries with particular focus on the development of Viking winter camps and their Eastern equivalent.
My research endeavors to investigate the settlements erected by medieval Scandinavians during overwintering sessions in England and Ukraine. This leads to questions regarding methods of expansion, motivation, gender roles, cultural exchange and integration, governance, power structures, diplomacy as well as the fate of these initial settlements. The study also intends to integrate not only literary and archaeological sources but also scholarship from East and West.
- Viking Age
- Medieval Scandinavian history
- British and Eastern European history
- Material Culture
- Old Norse, Anglo-Saxon, Old East Slavonic literature and language
- Cross-cultural exchange
- Medieval and Early Modern History of Central Eastern Europe. Proceedings of the XVI International Archaeological Student Conference, Chernihiv National University, 7-9 April 2017.
Conference Papers & Presentations
- "Many big ships and excellently well fitted…": A Case Study of Norse Vessels in the Saga of King Hakon c.1204-1263 (Poster presented at the Mapping New Knowledges Conference, Brock University, April 2016)
- "Many big ships and excellently well fitted…": A Case Study of Norse Vessels in the Saga of King Hakon c.1204-1263 (Paper presented at the International Archaeological Student Conference, Chernihiv National University, April 2017)
- Drunken Proposals - A Study of the Political Role of Alcohol in Medieval Scandinavian Feasting (Paper presented at the Nordic Research Network, University of Aberdeen, August 2017)
- "Many big ships and excellently well fitted…": A Case Study of Norse Vessels in the Saga of King Hakon c.1204-1263 (Paper to be presented at the Austmarr Conference, University of Tartu, December 2017)
- Thoughts of Home - A Study of Cultural Memory and Heritage Among Viking Age Rus (Paper to be presented at the Sessions on Old Norse Study and Collective Memory, Leeds IMC, 2018)
- MA History - Brock University
- BA (Hons) History and Classical Studies - University of Ottawa