Welcome to the School of Physics & Astronomy
We run a popular undergraduate physics programme. Our teaching has been rated 'excellent' and in the recent Research Excellence Framework (REF2014), in which the research quality of all UK higher education institutions has been assessed, we have been placed joint 3rd of all the Physics departments in the country. We pride ourselves on being a centre that is internationally recognised for the quality of teaching and research and hope that you will enjoy learning a little more about us through this site.
Physics Blog - Keep up-to-date with what's happening around the School with this new blog written by our staff and students.
UoN Physics YouTube channel
Physics Foundation Programme - Have you decided you would like to study physics but don't think you have the right qualifications? Check out our Foundation Programme.
Research Excellence Framework 2014
The Research Excellence Framework (REF), assesses all subjects in all universities across the UK, based on submissions describing their research and the wider societal impact that it has had. We are delighted to announce that the latest assessment placed the School of Physics and Astronomy in 3rd place of all the physics departments in the country.
In addition to being delighted that our research and the associated societal impact has been recognized in this way, we take pride in the close link that we make between the research and the teaching that we undertake at all levels, from outreach activities in schools to the advanced research projects that our undergraduates carry out as part of their courses. Indeed, one of the “impact case studies” that we included as a key part of our submission for REF2014 described the work we have undertaken explaining physics research on the Sixty Symbols YouTube channel.
Excellent performance in NSS (National Student Survey): We are delighted that our graduating students rated us at 95% for ‘overall satisfaction’ with their physics degree course. This is reflected in our high position (5th) in the recently published Times national league table for Physics.
- SPMIC UP Seminar Room
- Bruce Balcom, Director UNB MRI Research Centre, News Brunswick .Canada
- C1070 QMC South Block, QMC
- Prof. Dr. med. Martin Walter, Dept. of Psychiatry, University of Tübingen
- C04 Physics, University Park
- Professor Geoff Parker, Division of Informatics, Imaging & Data Sciences University of Manchester Institute for Collaborative Research on Ageing, School of SocialSciences
- Dr Chao Chen and Dr Wen Yun have been awarded the 2017 Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad.
- Congratulations to all Lord Dearing Award winners, including faculty colleagues Andrew Armour, Tom Wicks, Lisa Coneyworth and the Enterprise for Chemists team.
- Information for students from the Vice-Chancellor.
- As one of six sites in the UK awarded funding from Health Data Research UK the Midlands partnership, made up of the Universities of Birmingham, Leicester, Nottingham, Warwick, and University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, aims to make pioneering improvements in people's health.