Student Services

Frequently asked questions

The following FAQs are intended to help research students to find the answers to their most common queries.  Policies and procedures that apply to all students, including research, are included in the other items under ‘current students’.  

What is registration in thesis pending?

Students whose Programmes of Study allow will be transferred to the thesis pending period at the end of registered study if they have successfully passed their final annual review and have not submitted their thesis for examination.

Registering in thesis pending may allow you to be exempt from Council Tax. You should always check with your individual Council as to their exemptions. Some sponsors of international students also require their students to register in thesis pending.



How do I register in my thesis pending period?
Full time students who are eligible for a thesis pending period  should download and complete the Registration in Thesis Pending form. Late applications will not be accepted.  Once you have completed the form, it should be sent or handed in to one of the Student Service Centres.  If you have any queries about this please contact Student Services for further details.


What is the fee payable for registering in thesis pending?
The fee rises on an annual basis.  Please see the Tuition Fees pages for further information.


I am nearing the end of my period of registered study; how long is my thesis pending period? (for Doctorate/MPhil students only)

Normally full time students - one year. Part time students - two years. Full time Doctorate students are required to submit their thesis within four years of their start date (eight years for part time students).  Full time MPhil students are required to submit their thesis within three years of their start date (six years for part time students).   If you have had a registered period of study more than three years full time or six years part time, your thesis pending period will be reduced accordingly.



How do I set out my thesis?
The submission page contains information including guidelines on thesis layout. 


How do I let Student Services know I am about to submit my thesis?
A Notification of submission of thesis form should be completed and returned to Student Services preferably at least three months before you submit your thesis for examination. 


Where do I submit my thesis?

Two softbound copies of your thesis and a searchable PDF version on disc should be submitted to one of the Student Services Centres.



How are examiners appointed for my examination?
Upon receipt of your completed Notification of submission of thesis form, Student Services will ask your School to nominate examiners. When approved, we will email you with the names of your examiners, asking you to declare any possible conflict of interest.


How do I find out about arrangements for my viva voce examination?
It is the responsibility of the Internal Examiner to arrange the viva voce examination and it is therefore important that you keep him/her advised of your contact details.


I am not going to be able to submit my thesis on time. Can I have an extension?
Examples of circumstances which would normally lead to an approval of an extension are given in the Quality Manual.

The relevant form including a submission plan/timeline should be completed and submitted to Student Services along with any evidence of extenuating circumstances for consideration. You will be notified in writing as soon as a decision has been made.

The fee for an agreed extension to the thesis pending period can be found in the fee schedule.


The examiners have recommended a re-submission of my thesis; how long is the re-submission period and what is the fee?
The resubmission period is one year from the date formal written notification is sent to you by Student Administration. The fee for thesis re-submission is updated annually; see the fee schedule for the current fee.


How do I change my address?
It is vital that you keep your address up to date on our records to ensure that you receive important correspondence, particularly in relation to sending you Graduation details. You can change your address via the My Details section of the Portal.


I want to interrupt my studies - can I?
Students may, for a variety of reasons, want to interrupt their studies. You make your request to your School, and it is for the School to decide whether or not to recommend the interruption. A School may decide that an interruption is inevitable owing to extenuating circumstances such as injury, illness, or unavoidable family commitments, or the reasons cited indicate that it would genuinely be in your best academic, financial, or personal interest to interrupt your studies. If you interrupt your study your expected completion date and latest submission date will be moved on by the amount of time you have interrupted for. Interruption forms can be found in the Voluntary Interruption of Study Regulations.



Student Services

Portland Building, University of Nottingham
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

Contact us