Alumni to alumni mentoring
"The delicate balance of mentoring someone is not creating them in your own image, but giving them the opportunity to create themselves" – Steven Spielberg
What is mentoring?
Our alumni mentoring programme is a flexible scheme that you can take part in from work or home, wherever in the world you are based. It's open to all Nottingham graduates and you can take part as a mentor or a mentee.
As a mentor, the scheme allows you to connect with students or fellow alumni to share your career experiences and expertise. And as a mentee, we'll find the right mentor to help you hone your skills and progress in your career.
Becoming a mentee
"This is a great scheme! My interests and needs have been recognised to make a good match. My mentor has lots of experience in my field of interest and always makes time for me when I need it."
As a Nottingham graduate, you have access to a wide range of knowledge and experience from fellow alumni. Becoming a mentee will be perfect for you if you're:
- A young professional
- Looking to progress in your career or considering a career change
- Curious about other industries where your skills and expertise may be transferable
- Looking for advice from a fellow member of your alumni community
Find out more about being a mentee
Becoming a mentor
"It's been a great experience so far with my mentee. He's an enthusiastic graduate who is very capable of obtaining a high calibre job in future – but it's a two-way exchange and I've learnt a lot from him too."
Mentoring a student or graduate is an invaluable opportunity to make a difference. Being a mentor will suit you if you're someone who:
- Can provide career advice and support
- Can help their mentee to find the right direction and develop solutions to career issues
- Wants to help their mentee realise their potential and capitalise on their strengths
- Would like to play an supportive role in a graduate's professional life
Find out more about being a mentor
Timeline for 2018 mentoring
- Monday 11 December 2017 – Applications open to take part in the spring/summer 2018 programme
- Friday 2 February 2018 – Deadline for applications
- Friday 2 March 2018 – Successful applicants contacted
- Week commencing Monday 12 March 2018 – Compulsory eMentoring webinar workshop via Adobe Connect
- Monday 19 March 2018 – The eMentoring programme begins with mentees contacting mentors
- Late April 2018 – First check in
- Early June 2018 – Second check in
- End of June 2018 – Programme close
Data protection information
All information is held securely on the University’s central database and will be treated confidentially and with respect in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. Unless you tell us otherwise the data may be used for events programmes, alumni activities involving academic and administrative departments, fundraising programmes and for the promotion of benefits and services, which may involve an element of direct marketing. The data will not be disclosed to any external organisations, other than those acting as agents of the university. This may include organisations such as the Higher Educational Survey Agency (HESA).
If you do not wish you information to be used in this way please write to the Campaign Office or email DatabaseEnquiries@nottingham.ac.uk
Got a question?
If you are interested in mentoring and would like further information, you can speak to a member of our team:
Other ways to get involved