Summer School in Food and Crop Sciences
This three-day summer school is for Year 12 students who are studying in the UK and who are interested in the applications of science in a practical context. It has been created to help students find out more about working in food production and manufacturing industries and studying Food and Plant Science related degrees at Universities.
It is free of charge, residential and will give students the opportunity to experience living and learning on campus. They will participate in interactive learning activities, attend the Lord Haskins’ endowed lecture, and visit a local food factory or commercial crop company.
In 2016 we were able to offer 60 places on our summer school.
Can I apply?
We are interested in attracting bright and enthusiastic Year 12 students who can demonstrate a love of science and want to learn more about its application within the food industry - right from the field to the fork. Places are limited and priority will be given to students who have written support from their science teachers. Please note that we generally cannot accept more than two students per school.
- Dates for 2017 Summer School: July 5th - July 7th 2017
- Deadline for applications: 5 May 2017
- Cost: Free of charge. Full board, on-campus accommodation and all reasonable travel expenses will be covered by the summer school.
- Location: School of Biosciences, Sutton Bonington Campus, The University of Nottingham, LE12 5RD.
- Collection: Parents / Guardians will be invited to join the participants and staff for a farewell lunch on the final day of the summer school.
Three of our participants from the Summer School in Food Sciences 2014 wrote about their experiences of the Summer School. Following the links below to read their accounts:
Email to Judith Wayte
Previous Summer Schools have been sponsored by
- 2 Sisters Food Group
- Appetite for Engineering
- Belvoir Fruit Farms
- Dairy Crest
- IGD's Technical Leadership Forum
- Kerry Foods
- KP Snacks
- Marks & Spencer
- Newlywed Foods
- Produce World
- S&A Foods
- Samworth Brothers
- Sensory Dimensions
- Stateside Foods
- The Brakes Group
- The Chilled Food Association
- The University Farm
If you are a company interested in sponsoring a pupil to attend this year’s Summer School please get in touch with Judith Wayte.