Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa
The Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa allows a limited number of eligible students from The University of Nottingham to remain in the UK for up to two years to start new business ventures. In the first instance, the period granted under this visa will be for 12 months.
Who can apply for the Tier 1 visa?
- Current students who graduate from the UK campus within six months
- Former students who graduated from the UK campus within 12 months
- Tier 4 (Doctorate Extension Scheme) visa holders are eligible to switch into this visa route, providing that they have a genuine and credible business plan.
The University of Nottingham will only endorse the business plans of its own students or graduates.
How do the visas work?
The Ingenuity Lab works in partnership with The University of Nottingham's Visa and Immigration Team.
The applicant will be expected to:
- submit a business plan to the head of The Ingenuity Lab for consideration and once satisfied The Ingenuity Lab will refer the applicant to the International Office for visa advice, document checking and issuing of the endorsement letter.
- attend regular meetings with The Ingenuity Lab to monitor your progress and the continued development of your business.
Engaging in this process with the University is essential from a business and immigration perspective. If you are no longer engaging with The Ingenuity Lab or working on your business, the University will be required to report a change in your circumstances to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) and this is likely to have implications for your visa. Subject to satisfactory progress, at the end of the first year of endorsement, an assessment will be undertaken to determine whether the University will re-endorse your business venture for a further 12 months.
The visa has allowed me to run my business, Kohl Kreatives, from The Ingenuity Lab. It’s great that I can develop my business in the UK now that I’ve finished studying, as this is where Kohl Kreatives began.
Trishna Daswaney (BSc Management, 2015)
Contact our team
+44 (0) 115 951 5204
The UK visa website