Career Mentoring for students and alumni
Our new mentoring schemes offer Nottingham alumni the opportunity to provide meaningful career support to current students and fellow alumni.
Mentoring develops via remote contact over the academic year, giving participants time to benefit from their mentor's professional experience and knowledge.
Alumnus Graham Kill (Mining Engineering, 1987) is a Portfolio Director who has mentored both students and alumni:
It doesn't matter where you are in life's journey, there's always something new to learn from somebody else's experiences. Mentoring enabled me to share my career experience, whilst also giving back to the University.
What to expect
As a Career Mentor you can expect:
- to have a mentee by December
- regular contact with your mentee, either by email, phone or video-call
- ongoing support from the Mentoring Team
Around 1 hour per month, including:
- compulsory online mentor training
- monthly mentoring sessions with your mentee, ensuring they are making progress
- mentoring preparation and feedback
Hear from a current mentor
Food Science, 2016
Marks & Spencers
"I offered careers advice and work placements to my mentee Jemima, as she was keen to gain as much practical experience as possible. I look forward to supporting her throughout university and beyond"
Do you have what it takes to mentor? Find out more - read our Mentor Agreement
Their mentee's journey
Food Science student
Mentee since 2017, seeking insights into the nutrition and food sectors
"My mentor refined my CV and module selections, and organised meaningful work experience that future employers would find invaluable. Thanks to Sam, I now have a clear plan of action"
Are you a current student seeking a mentor? Contact the Careers and Employability Service
Mentoring Schedule 2018/2019
Career Mentoring (student mentoring)
- Mentors will be notified by the start of December 2018 if they have been matched to a student mentee. Mentoring itself will take place between December 2018 and May 2019.
Career Mentoring (alumni to alumni mentoring)
- Mentors will be notified in October 2018 if they've been selected for the Autumn 2018 scheme, or in February 2019 for the Spring 2019 scheme. Mentoring itself will take place in late October 2018/March 2019 respectively.
Whether you're an experienced mentor or not, follow our top tips and you'll soon become a masteful mentor.
Top Tips for Mentors
Looking for a mentor? Find out more...