Careers and Employability Service
Services for current students

Translating and interpreting

Translators work with the written word while interpreters convert spoken or sign language from one language to another.

Some professionals are able to do both, but they are regarded as separate roles with distinct skill sets.

Your next steps

If you have questions about your plans, talk to a member of our team.


Further resources

Prospects: translator job profile

Prospects: interpreter job profile

Career options with languages leaflet PDF format

Watch Joey's vlog: Do I want to be a translator?

Careers and Employability Service

University of Nottingham
Portland Building, Level D
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 3680
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 3679