Careers and Employability Service
Services for current students

Working in the UK



Are you planning to work in the UK either during your studies or after graduation?

Whether you're an EU or an international student, it's important to be aware that your right to work in the UK will depend on your visa. 

Find out more about your right to work in the UK using the following resources:

Working during your studies

Working in the UK after your studies - graduate route

Working in the UK after your studies - alternative routes

UKCISA blog post: Student/Tier 4 visa and work restrictions


Working during your studies

Gaining some relevant work experience will help you stand out during the recruitment process for graduate roles in the UK and beyond.

There are plenty of ways to gain valuable experience.

Internships and placements

Internships and placements are types of work experience designed to give you experience and skills relevant to a particular industry. They can vary in length, and may be paid or unpaid.

Placements are usually associated with specific University degree programmes, which may feature a 'year in industry' or other type of structured work experience. 

Blog: The value of doing an internship in the UK

Part-time work

Gaining some part-time work during your studies is a great way to:

  • earn some extra money
  • meet new people and get to know the local community
  • develop the skills which graduate employers seek, such as teamwork and communication

At Nottingham, our team in Unitemps can help you find paid part-time opportunities in the local area.

Other ways to gain experience

There are plenty of opportunities to gain work experience at Nottingham from taking part in the Nottingham Advantage Award to getting involved with a student society or volunteering in the local community. 

Find out more about how to gain work experience


Where can I look for graduate roles?

We've rounded up top sources of vacancies on our Graduate vacancies page. This includes vacancies advertised on MyCareer, which is a dedicated jobs board for Nottingham students.

Home Office UK Visas and Immigration provides a list of employers who currently sponsor work permits for workers coming from outside of the EU. This list is useful as a starting point for candidates seeking a visa, but needs to be cross-referenced with more detailed information on each company's careers pages.

If you know which industry you'd like to work in, check the Types of jobs pages for more targeted information about how to gain experience and find graduate roles.

Networking is another great way to find out about opportunities. Our Career Mentoring scheme connects you with Nottingham alumni who can provide valuable insights into working in the UK.

International alums working in the UK 

During this collaborative event between the University of Nottingham and Nottingham Trent University. We heard from international alums working in the UK across a range of sectors and the visas included: Graduate Route, Skilled Worker Route and Start Up Route.

Watch the webinar

Useful websites

UoN advice on Brexit for current students

UoN information on recent updates to the visa and immigration system

UKCISA (The UK Council for International Student Affairs): Advice on working while studying and afterwards

UKCISA - Working after your studies

Information on seeking work in and
outside of the UK, including visas and
work permits

Student Circus: Advertises jobs and internships with UK companies offering the Sponsored Work Visa

Student Circus information

  • All the graduate roles advertised meet the UK Visa and Immigration salary requirements for sponsorship.
  • Featured employers are offering the Sponsored Work Visa and registered with the UK Visa and Immigration office
  • The employer has confirmed that they are willing to hire international graduates for the graduate roles advertised.
  • Frequently asked questions on the platform have been checked and verified for accuracy by an immigration expert.
  • The platform also provides access to internships, placements and start-up internships.

Visit Student Circus and login using your University of Nottingham email.

Please be aware that when using the Student Circus platform your data will not be hosted by the University of Nottingham, however we have taken reasonable steps to ensure they are legally compliant with both the GDPR and UK Data Protection Act 2018 at the point of signing a contract/Service level agreement with them (August 2019). For more information on how your data will be used please see their terms and conditions.



Frequently asked questions

Where do I find information about the new visa and immigration system?

For up to date information and advice about the new student immigration route, please visit the following websites:

University of Nottingham: Working in the UK after graduation - graduate route

UKCISA: Working in the UK after your studies 


How do I present my previous non-UK qualifications to UK employers?

Some employers will provide information about how to present non-UK qualifications on their recruitment pages, so check their websites first. It may also be worth contacting their HR department for advice.

If you are asked to provide equivalencies for your qualifications, the following are useful:

  • The UCAS website has standard comparisons for non-A Level qualifications such as the International Baccalaureate
  • If you can't find what you're looking for on the UCAS website, UK ENIC can assess the equivalency of most qualifications for a fee

Potential employers might be unfamiliar with your previous institution and qualification, so you could highlight specific merits of these (ranking positions, for instance). You might also want to contextualise your academic and extra-curricular achievements by explaining how they meet or exceed expected standards in your home country. 

Find more information about the UK recruitment process in our graduate vacancies and making applications sections. An appointment with a member of staff and a review of your CV will also be helpful.


What level of English do UK employers expect?

UK employers expect a good standard of written and verbal English. If you are not a native speaker, try to improve your English during your time in the UK to maximise your chances of finding graduate employment. Getting involved in volunteering is a great way to improve your communication skills.

Do I need a National Insurance number to work here? How can I get one?

You don't need a National Insurance number to look for jobs, but once you are offered a post you must telephone the Contributions Agency on 0845 6000 643 to apply for it.

You will be invited to an interview held at your local Jobcentre Plus office. It usually takes about six to 12 weeks for your application to be processed, but you can still working during this time. Inform your employers as soon as you have been notified of your permanent NI number.

Find out more on the GOV.UK website.


Careers and Employability Service

University of Nottingham
Portland Building, Level D
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 3680
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 3679