Careers and Employability Service
Services for current students

Part-time and vacation work

Female open day helper smiling in a blue hoodie


Finding a part-time or temporary job is important for most students. You can earn money to help fund your studies as well as gaining work experience and developing your skills for the graduate labour market.

We would advise you not to work more than 16 hours a week during term time so that your job does not interfere with your studies.


Unitemps: work while you study

Unitemps is our recruitment service for part-time and temporary work on campus and in the local area. Unitemps offers:

  • interesting assignments
  • excellent rates of pay
  • holiday pay accrued with every hour you work
  • complete flexibility – you choose when you work

There are a variety of opportunities available, including administrative work, marketing, events and hospitality work, translation work, project work and many more.

Visit the website (Unitemps Nottingham)

Call Unitemps +44 (0)115 846 7374


Find Unitemps on B floor of the Portland Building, opposite Blackwells and next to the Portland Coffee Company, on University Park campus.

Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 10am–5pm (telephones answered from 9am)

Eleanor Flynn, Law

Portrait of student Eleanor Flynn


By trying out different types of jobs, it helped me to define what I might want to do – and what I definitely don’t want to do! – in the future. 


Read Eleanor's blog: How I found part-time work in Nottingham


International students

Most international students are eligible to work up to 20 hours a week during term time.

You should check your eligibility to work by reading the International Office's leaflet:

Working during your studies

PhD students

Before undertaking part-time work, please check with your department if there is any restriction on the number of hours you can work, especially for jobs outside the University.

Science and engineering students may be recruited to work as demonstrators within the University. Talk to your supervisor or look on your department noticeboard for vacancies at the end of your first year.

Arts and humanities students may be recruited for teaching work within the University, for example, as a language assistant. These opportunities are more suitable for second and third year students. Talk to your supervisor or look on your department noticeboard for vacancies.

Other more general opportunities exist within the University, for example resident tutor in a hall of residence. These posts are advertised on the University's website.

Your rights at work

For information on your working rights in the UK such as the National Minimum Wage, the National Living Wage and working hours, please visit the following page:

Your rights at work

Income tax

When you begin work you will need a tax code which tells your employer what your personal tax allowance will be. To obtain your tax code, you will need to fill in a P46 form. 

From April 2017, if you earn above £11,500 a year, you will have to pay Income Tax. For details of paying tax visit the HMRC website or contact HM Customs and Revenue office Nottingham 0300 200 3500. 

National Insurance

If you are a UK citizen you should have been sent a card with the details of your NI number from HM Revenues and Customs (HMRC) shortly after your sixteenth birthday. If you didn't receive one or have lost it, please contact HMRC on 0300 200 3500.

If you are non-UK citizen, you should contact the Jobcentre Plus to apply for your NI number as soon as you are offered a job. Contact them on 0845 600 0643.

You will be invited to an interview at your local JobCentre Plus office. It usually takes 6 to 12 weeks for your application to be processed but you can still work during this time. Inform your employer as soon as you have your NI number. For more information, visit the website. 


Careers and Employability Service

University of Nottingham
Portland Building, Level D
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 3680
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 3679