Presessional English for Academic Purposes 4 (5 weeks, summer only)
This course is designed for students who are very close to meeting the English language condition required by your chosen course of academic study.
What you will learn
Over the course of the five weeks, the main aims of the module will be to:
- develop and improve your knowledge of academic English
- practice the tasks and texts you will meet during your academic studies
- develop your confidence and skills
- provide you with support and guidance
What will you do
- Plan and write a library-based coursework assignment
- Participate in oral seminar discussions
- Focus on your own academic discipline
- Reflect on academic learning and writing processes
- Analyse and evaluating academic arguments
- Discuss your work with a dedicated Language Advisor (personal tutor)
How you will be assessed
If you are planning to do an undergraduate or postgraduate course, you will be formally assessed at the end of the course.
- Write an academic paper on a controversial issue linked to your main subject area
- Participate in an oral viva examination, to present and discuss your paper (above)
If you have already met the English language condition of your offer, but would like to prepare for your academic course, you are eligible to apply for PEAP 4 and will certainly benefit from becoming familiar with the University and the academic expectations before registering in your department.
See also our specific programme for students with unconditional offers.