The International Doctoral Innovation Centre (IDIC) is a pioneering doctoral training centre established at The University of Nottingham Ningbo China in 2012. The IDIC is a joint venture between The University of Nottingham, Ningbo Education Bureau, Ningbo Science and Technology Bureau and China’s Ministry of Science and Technology, along with the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council in the UK.
We aim to train 100 of the brightest early career PhD researchers over six years, focusing on the areas of Digital Economy and Energy Technologies. These early career researchers will become future leaders in digital and energy technologies. Their training here at UNNC will help develop innovative solutions that will address major global academic and industry challenges. We encourage enthusiastic candidates from a variety of academic backgrounds to apply for our prestigious PhD scholarships.
Why study with the IDIC?
Doctoral training centres bring together diverse areas of expertise and disciplines to train future leaders. The IDIC is one of such centres, and the very first in China. Our cross campus student-staff exchange (1st year in the UK and 3 remaining years at Ningbo) progamme has been a great cultural and learning experience for our students. Studying with us will cultivate a broader view of the international research as compared to traditional PhD programmes.
Benefits of studying with us:
1. We provide you with research opportunities at an internationally renowned research university, with direct access to world-class research facilities and expertise
2. We give a full scholarship with an attractive financial package (see ‘Funding, applying and contacting us’)
3. We educate you in modern research methodologies that will prepare you for a bright academic career
4. We equip you for careers in the digital industry
5. We conduct regular seminars with industry representatives in order to develop employment networks
6. We facilitate PhD supervisions from academic experts in both the UK and China
7. We assist in career guidance tailored to individual needs
8. You will eventually receive a prestigious doctoral degree from The University of Nottingham, accredited by China’s Ministry of Education
About The University of Nottingham
The University of Nottingham has more than 43,000 students worldwide and is ‘the nearest Britain has to a truly global university, with campuses in China and Malaysia modelled on a headquarters that is among the most attractive in Britain’ (The Times Good University Guide 2014). It is ranked in the world’s top 1% of universities by the QS World University Rankings 2013/14. More than 90% of research at The University of Nottingham is of international quality, according to the most recent Research Assessment Exercise.
We offer talented early career researchers fully funded, four-year PhD programmes in the areas of digital economy and energy technologies. We are looking for ambitious and talented students from a variety of backgrounds who are interested in the research areas listed on the following pages.
PhD in Digital Economy
This programme offers talented students the opportunity to research and develop new digital technologies and solutions that can be applied to a variety of areas. These technologies and solutions will tackle key challenges in interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary subject areas that will contribute to enabling technologies, people, societies and global impact. We are interested in basic and applied technological research that adds value to the world in which we live and work.
Due to our interdisciplinary team of academics, the Digital Economy programme covers broad research areas in the state-of-the-art. This includes the broad digital themes applied to a variety of disciplines (see below):
• artificial intelligence and machine learning
• big data and cloud computing
• computational finance and business information systems
• computer science, information science and technology
• computer vision and pattern recognition
• data mining and knowledge discovery
• digital heritage and culture
• electronics and telecommunications
• human computer interaction
• information visualisation
• internet of things
• mobile, ubiquitous, context-aware and location-aware computing
• multimedia systems and processing
• optimisation and operational research
• smart and sustainable cities
• social media and social networks
• virtual reality, virtual environments and augmented reality
The uniqueness of our programme is the interdisciplinary supervisory team. Our current student cohorts are represented by various domains and disciplines with supervisors from at least two different subject areas:
• architecture, built environment and product design
• Faculty of social sciences (business, economics, marketing, etc)
• school of computer science (AI, big data, agent-based modeling, visualization, etc.)
• department of engineering (chemical, civil, electrical, electronic, etc.)
• Faculty of arts and education (English, communcations, etc)
• geographical sciences
• mathematical sciences
• medical school
You will have opportunity to work closely with the School of Computer Science and the Horizon Digital Economy Research Institute at The University of Nottingham, UK, as well as digital technology experts at The University of Nottingham Ningbo China.
General information and application procedures and funding information is here
Enquiries about applications should be directed to:
Recruitment and Admissions Office
The University of Nottingham Ningbo China
t: +86 (0)574 8818 1063
Posted on Wednesday 1st April 2015