International Chinese Language Teacher Scholarships (also known as Confucius Institute Scholarships) are offered by The Centre for Language Education and Cooperation under the Chinese Ministry of Education to encourage students, scholars and Chinese language teachers from countries other than China to pursue tertiary level studies from a choice of 150 Chinese universities. Supported subjects include Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, Chinese Philosophy, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Chinese Music, Chinese Dance etc. Applications are welcome all year round.
The following range of Confucius Institute Scholarships are currently being offered:
- Doctor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (DTCSOL)
- Master's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL)
- Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL)
- Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study (International students currently studying in China are not eligible)
- Scholarship for One-Semester Study*
- Cooperative Scholarship between Hanban and Host Institutions
* Applicants withholding X1 or X2 visas are not eligible to apply for study of less than 6 months' duration
You can choose from a wide range of Chinese universities to study at and detailed information on eligibility criteria, application procedure can be accessed here.
Applicants are advised to submit their applications as early as possible. To apply for Confucius Institute Scholarships through NCI, please submit your application before the deadlines set below:
| Entry Time|| Application Deadline|
| July 2022
||15 April 2022
| September 2022
||15 May 2022
| December 2022
||15 September 2022
| March 2023
||15 November 2022
We strongly advise you submit your application as soon as possible. Due to various paper work NCI is requred to complete, our deadlines are slightly earlier than the offical Hanban deadlines. Applications received after the above dates will not be considered.
Please also note that your HSK exam result(s) must be available at least online when you submit your application to Hanban. Further details on how to apply for Confucius Institute Scholarships can also be found at: http://cis.chinese.cn
To find out more:
If you are interested and wish to find out more about these opportunities, please make an appointment to see our scholarship coordinator Dr Songbo Yan by telephone 0115 82 32111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org