Chooy Lam's all-in-one dish
Chooy Lam (Architecture, 1979)
"This dish is one of my favourites from our family dinners growing up in Seremban, Malaysia. Now it's one of my children's favourites too – enjoy!"
- 1 can of baked beans
- 1 medium onion, cubed
- 300g of ground chicken (marinade with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce)
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 3 pips garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch (blended with 2 tablespoons of water to thicken the gravy)
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan.
- Add the garlic and fry for a minute. Stir in the chopped onions and fry for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chicken and stir fry for around 3-4 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, ketchup, sugar and water. Simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the beans last, then thicken gravy with the blended cornstarch.
- Turn off the heat and serve in a casserole dish. Best eaten with a plate of steamed rice and garnished with chopped spring onions.
Photo by Joseph Gonzalez on Unsplash