Frequently asked questions


We’ve worked hard to make our campuses as safe as possible for our students and staff. Your safety is our absolute priority.

Take a look at our safety on campus web pages to learn about the steps we’ve taken to ensure our campuses are COVID-secure.

The key things to remember are:

  • wear a mask in buildings, including in teaching sessions
  • socially distance
  • wash your hands regularly. 

If you experience symptoms of COVID-19, you should take the following steps as promptly as possible:

If you think another student or member of staff might have symptoms, you should encourage them to do the same.

Government guidance mandates that anyone showing symptoms of COVID-19, however mild, or anyone who has received a positive test result, must self-isolate for at least 10 days and for as long as they still have a high temperature.

If you're a student living in a hall you will have been allocated a household. If you live in the community, the people living in your house are a household. In the event that one member of your household experiences symptoms or has a positive COVID-19 test, all members of that household must isolate for at least 14 days.

Students should inform their School, via their module convenors or personal tutors.

Staff should contact their line manager to inform them that they’re isolating. If you remain well enough to work, you should do so from home.


If you have symptoms, you must isolate until you receive your test result – along with all members of your household.

If your result is negative, notify the university as soon as possible. If no one else in your household has symptoms, your households’ isolation period can end. If others in your household have symptoms, you must all remain in isolation until you all get a negative result, or until the mandated isolation period ends.

If your result is positive, notify the university and the rest of your household as soon as possible. You and your household must continue to isolate according to government guidance and regulations (also see this FAQ for more information).

Any breach of government regulations could lead to a fine, or disciplinary action taken by the university.


Free tests are available to book on the website. The service may be busy, but you should be able to get a test – via post, or by visiting drive-through or walk-in sites. 


When you test positive for coronavirus, the NHS Test and Trace service will send you a text or email alert or call you with instructions of how to share details of people with whom you have had close, recent contact and places you have visited. It is important that you respond as soon as possible so that appropriate advice can be given to those who need it.

You may choose to contact friends and family personally. Do be aware that sharing information about symptoms, isolating or test results on public platforms, like social media, could be shared further than you are comfortable with.

If you are aware of other people isolating due to symptoms or a positive test result, you must respect their confidentiality. Do not share their personal information without their consent.


We do not encourage people to challenge each other. Raise this calmly and respectfully if you are able – but only if you feel comfortable doing so. Where people observe behaviour or incidents which cause concern, they can, if they wish, report these through the COVID-19 incident reporting form.

One never knows what others are having to deal with; for example, there will be some who cannot wear a mask for a variety of reasons related to unseen disability, mental health or physical health.  Please remember this if you are concerned that someone isn’t following the guidance or adhering to the rules when they should. 


Unless someone is exempt, everyone must follow social distancing and face covering guidelines – including in Halls of Residence.

You can, if you wish, report these incidents through the COVID-19 incident reporting form. You can also speak to your Hall Tutor or Warden for support.


If you have tested positive or been contacted by the NHS Track and Trace Service and told to self-isolate, the law requires you to remain in your current location to isolate, whether this is in halls of residence or in private accommodation. You must not travel while isolating – unless it’s to get a coronavirus test.

We know that isolating is challenging and could have a negative impact on your mental health. Keep in touch with friends and family via phone and video chat, and contact the Support and Wellbeing Team if you need support. 


Their positive test will have triggered the NHS Track and Trace process. You will be contacted by this service if required to isolate. The NHS Track and Trace process may not be able to reach all potential contacts as quickly as one might wish.  Check the government guidance on whether you may be considered a close contact of the infected person, and subsequently told to isolate. 


You and everyone else in the household must isolate according to government guidelines and regulations. Notify the university that you are isolating, and encourage the affected member of the household to report their symptoms/positive test result to the university.


If any of your assessments have been, or are going to be affected, by your illness or self-isolation, please submit a claim for extenuating circumstances within the prescribed timescales, using the online form.

Read the University’s Extenuating Circumstances Policy before submitting your claim.

The Students’ Union guide to extenuating circumstances gives helpful advice on the process.


After notifying the university, you should contact your School, via your module convenor or personal tutor, to discuss how you can continue to engage with your studies if you are well enough. They will support you in accessing your teaching online where possible, via platforms including Moodle and Microsoft Teams.


You are not alone, and there is support available. Don’t hesitate - get in touch so that we can help you.

Speak to your personal tutor about your worries and concerns. They can talk these through with you and signpost you to support services that can help.

You can also contact our Support and Wellbeing Team direct and our web pages have a huge amount of information to help.


Use the Findspace online service to find safe spaces to work, study and socialise on campus. You can search for specific buildings, or for types of spaces – like cafes.

Spaces will have one of the following ratings:

  • Green – the space has lots of availability
  • Amber – there is some space, but it is filling up quickly
  • Red – the space is full, come back later or make other arrangements

Access the resource at, or via the MyNottingham app.

Even with the above, just as you would anywhere, if you arrive at a location and it is very busy and there is a consequent risk that social distancing may be compromised then please do not enter that area - protect yourself and others.


The majority of students and staff on campus are wearing face coverings. However, some may be exempt. Some of those who are exempt may choose to wear a sunflower lanyard, which indicates they have a hidden disability.  One never knows what others are having to deal with.  Please remember this if you are concerned that someone isn’t wearing a mask in a setting where the guidance suggests they should. 

Those not wearing face coverings should ensure they remain two metres distant from others and if any of us feel someone is too close to us, we can ask them to respect social distance.


By isolating, you protect your friends, family and community by halting the transmission of the virus. Isolating is challenging – physically and mentally. It may make you feel lonely, sad or anxious – but you are not alone. There is a range of support available that can help you get through isolation. Some is accessible to all students., other elements depend on where you live. 

Visit our self-isolation support pages for more information. 


You must isolate if someone in your household has had a positive test or is symptomatic. 

If someone in your household has been asked to isolate by NHS Track and Trace, but they have no symptoms, you do not need to isolate.  However, you must have as little contact with them as possible, and cannot have visitors to your home until their isolation period is complete. 

If they develop symptoms, you and the rest of your household must isolate for 14 days from the onset of those symptoms. 

More information on Track and Trace is available on the NHS website


You must isolate if someone in your household has had a positive test or is symptomatic.

If you are a close contact of the symptomatic/infected person, or have been contacted by the NHS Track and Trace service, you should isolate. 

However, if you are not a close contact, are not symptomatic, haven't have a positive test, and haven't been contacted by NHS Track and Trace, you do not need to isolate.


No. Please do not pause contact tracing unless you are wearing clinical grade PPE. While precautions such as social distancing and wearing face coverings reduces the chance of infection the app provides extra protection as it measures the risk score for individuals i.e. it can record if they are too close to someone for a certain period of time.

The app can really help to make a difference, alongside the precautions everyone is adhering to, in tracking interactions and intercepting virus transmission quickly.

Displaying 1 to 19 of 19

If you need further assistance, call 0115 748 7700 between 10am and 8pm Monday to Friday, 12noon and 4pm Saturday and Sunday or speak to your halls manager. 

Specific medical support can be sought from our Cripps Healthcare Centre or by contacting NHS 111. Out-of-hours, our security team is available on +44 (0)115 951 8888. 

University of Nottingham

University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 5151
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 3666
email: Contact us